Tick warning

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Scary thing about the Columbia web-site , shows there are 11 diseases other than Lyme that can be contracted from a tick bite ! :eek: Hope you feel better , thanks for sharing

Adam Buchler

Scout
Nov 5, 2011
They could make Lyme's vaccine out of my blood according to my wife.My mom once picked over 80 ticks off my hide in one day when i was 9.I am amazed at all the people I know who have it,none of them spend a great deal of time in the woods.I think I never got sick much as a kid or even now because I played in the dirt constantly as a kid and ate sammiches with dirty hands while in the woods.I innoculated myself.I used to be so knotty as a youngun I felt like a cheese grater.By the way does sasquatch get ticks?Did you check under hawkins for the Squatch?Perhaps they are the trolls of old before anyone knew of Squatch?
My guess is that he eats any ticks he finds on himself...I had lymes when I was younger but I spent all my time in the woods. I took a friend out to the pines one time last summer and he got lymes lol...so it's funny you mentioned that

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have never gotten chiggers with it either and no I was in prime chigger grass and the chggers are so bad down here that in september you can hardly go anywhere without getting them except in very open dry woods or in wet swamps,anywhere along old roads or in huckleberry they are there.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Man, the ticks are out in full force now. Was hiking around Peaslee yesterday and went through a short section of trail that was somewhat overgrown. I must have had 30 of them on my pants. Didn't get any bites, but I just don't like being around that many ticks. Wasn't using permethrin, I'm sure it would have helped.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I put it on my pants and still had ticks. I found one in me at work the other day. I was not able to get the head out until I got home.

Guy

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I just read an old fashioned tip for tick removal. Iodine used to be very common. When I was a kid my parents always had a bottle in the medicine cabinet. It was used as an antiseptic. It had a skull and crossbones on the bottle. Iodine seems to be kind of rare nowadays. It is purported to have many excellent properties. I have used it (Lugol's iodine solution) successfully in curing various skin problems. I just read this comment on amazon so I thought I'd share it with you poor souls who haunt the domain of the dreaded tick (silly people think that the Jersey Devil is the danger down there!) :

"I bought this to help out on my at home first aid and medicine cabinet. This stuff helps out for just about any cut or scrape or burn and especially the ticks around here. Kentucky is full of what many people refer to as "seed ticks", or "Lone Star" ticks, and any of them can make you sick when they bite and you don't get them unattached rather soon. I use this at my house because we live up next to the woods and it's just the price you pay for serenity, peace and and open back yard, so it pays to have a well stocked medicine/first aid cabinet. Drown the little suckers with this and they usually come out without too much pulling on your end (so you don't leave the head in which causes more problems). It suffocates them and helps with the germs they leave behind."

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/tick-warning.8213/page-2

I must keep this in mind because I never had any luck trying to pull the little sons of bitches out with tweezers like they were telling you to do last time I looked. Years ago when I used to haunt those woods myself what I would do is get some gasoline out of my VW gas tank on a rag and put it over them and they'd wriggle and then they were easy to pull out, but now (last time I looked - these things keep changing) they said, no, don't do dat, plus gas tanks are now sealed up so you can't dip a rag in them.

I can hardly wait til I get a tick drilled in my body so I can try out this new trick!

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Many of these old fashioned techniques were not bad ones in the days before tick borne diseases, especially Lyme Disease. But the problem you need to be concerned with now is not the tick, it is the microorganism living within it. Anything you apply to a tick that is nasty enough to make it back out of your skin can also make it regurgitate its stomach contents into you bloodstream. That is why you also have to be careful when physically removing it. If you squeeze it’s body while pulling it out you are essentially treating it like a hypodermic needle, injecting yourself with whatever is inside it. These are the reasons for the current recommendations for removal, which is grasping it where it enters your skin with tweezers, long fingernails, or one of the tools designed for the purpose.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Have you been successful with the modern method? Whenever I've tried it (happily not recently) I've just broken off the tick's head that's inside my body and then it festers, probably the completely worst outcome of all. There was tick-carried diseases before Lyme too. I wonder what kind of real life studies there have been comparing these methods of tick removal.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I don't have a problem plucking ticks off with tweezers myself, I have a pair with very sharp points. But a tick rarely spends very much time on me, if you're pulling them out the next day, that can be more difficult.

"Well I might ride along the border, with my tweezers gleamin' in the moon-lighty night..."

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Yeah, Boyd, I'm talking about ticks that are all dug in. They're easy to pull off if you find them early.