ticks

stizkidz

Piney
May 10, 2003
Tuckerton
anyone have a proven method to fend off ticks? i tried that "ticks off" stuff and after coming out of the woods, i picked nearly 15 ticks off myself!

thanks,
-Ben

J

JeffD

A repellent that contains DEET is supposed to be the best for keeping ticks and other unwanted critters off you. OFF contains DEET. I use it when I'm in the woods and it seems to work.

B

bach2yoga

Honestly, the best stuff is 100% DEET, but use it sparingly, mostly if you are planning on bushwacking, and be sure not to wash your face or put your hands in the river, and don't wear it if you are swamping. It will wash off into the water, and we don't want that, Jeff, do we? :p (sorry, in an ornery mood...)
Most of the time I use permethrin. Spray it on your clothes outdoors while you aren't wearing them, let them dry two hours. Don't spray it on your body! It lasts for several weeks. Then remove the clothing immediately, put them into garbage bags and tie them until you wear them again. I generally wash mine immediately instead but the permethrin (aka permanone) doesn't last as long that way. Shower immediately. And tuck your pants inside your socks! Forget shorts. And in hot weather, consider the supplex pants, you can get them at Dicks or LL Bean or online. They are worth every penny. They dry in minutes, and keep you cooler in warm weather than jeans. Consider gaiters too. I just recently got some and love them.
I have noticed that when I am wearing my hip waders (rubber) that I get substantially fewer ticks, too.
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
When I was out with Bob a few weeks ago he showed me that the ticks do not like rubber. We watched them climbing easily on them but in a few seconds they just dropped to the ground. So a scuba suit is what we all need.

Guy

B

bach2yoga

TeeGate said:
When I was out with Bob a few weeks ago he showed me that the ticks do not like rubber. We watched them climbing easily on them but in a few seconds they just dropped to the ground. So a scuba suit is what we all need.

Guy

Sounds good to me! Used to have my scuba license, but never used it.
Renee

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
njvike said:
I just heard the other day that ticks now can cause paralysis. Anybody get the entire story?

That is a symptom of Lymes from what I hear.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
One more thing to worry about!

I pulled 5 from my feet yesteday when I returned home. Caught them early acording to the article.

Guy