Tidbit

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
It's very interesting to me that the landed gentry at one time considered the pines a restful respite-even healthful. Look at Lakewood in its early days-with its history of celebrities and the many dignitaries who vacationed there from NY. Then, they all got uppity and saw manicured lawns and golf courses as the epitome of luxury and health.

Or is that it? Am I missing some key point here? Help me out. Why were the pines once laudable, yet now dismissed?

Probably a combination of Rockefeller dying and the great depression. Lakewood started to turn more middle class in the 1930s.

http://twp.lakewood.nj.us/history.htm

Reactions: Trailwalker

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It appears in 1938 the president of Kendall Oil crashed his plane into the Cranberry Bogs that are now the Kings Grant development in Marlton and was killed. It says Berlin so I may be wrong even though I have some doubts.

Guy

Oil Executive Dies When Plane Crashes in Cranberry Bog / Got Lost in the Rain and Fog While Enroute to Home in PennsylvaniaDate:

September 21, 1938

Howard Hulett Green, 38, vice president of the Kendall Refining Company, of Bradford, Pa., met death when his Fairchild cabin monoplane crashed in Kettle Run cranberry bog in Burlington county, about two miles northeast of Berlin, while he was enroute from Atlantic city to his home on Sunday evening. At 7 p. m. he radioed Central Airport, Camden, that he was flying at 7,000 feet and that weather conditions were so bad that he intended to turn back to Atlantic city. That was the last heard from him. It is presumed he got lost in the rain and fog. Melvin Applegate(,) caretaker of the 30-acre bog, which is located about half a mile off Taunton road, who made an inspection of bog spillways at about 8 o'clock on Monday morning, noticed the wreckage and notified John R. Brick, of Medford, who operates the bog for Bank Brothers, of Atlantic City. Brick, in turn, notified Berlin State police. Trooper Michael Harris, struggling through the marshy lowlands, finally reached the plane and got out the body, which was strapped to the cockpit. Harris said rigor mortis had set in, indicating Green had died many hours before. Harris thought Applegate might not have seen the wreckage because of the fog and darkness on his 10 o'clock Sunday night inspection. Harris said there had been no fire. He believed Green realized he was going to crash and cut the switch, but said it was impossible to tell because of the complete wreckage of the plane. Green's head was crushed against the instrument board. Debris was strewn over a radius of 100 yards. Apparently one wing hit first, scraping along the bog for about 25 feet. A furrow two feet deep and 20 feet long then was cut by some heavier part, apparently the motor, with the main wreckage still another 100 feet ahead. Nearby was Green's brief case, apparently flung from the wreckage by the impact. One of the letters inside was from the War Department and told of his appointment as a reserve officer in the army air corps. This was the first clue as to Green's identity. Green, who had been attending the National Petroleum Association Convention in Atlantic City since Friday, telegraphed his wife and four children that he was flying for home on Sunday. He took off from the shore airport at 5.50 in the afternoon, despite bad weather. His plane was equipped with radio and instruments for blind flying. Green, a pilot for five years, was licensed to carry passengers and fly by instruments. The body was removed to the morgue of Coroner N. Swartz, of Palmyra, who issued a burial certificate.

jgaynor

Jul 22, 2015
Marlton
Sorry to dredge up an old thread, but can I ask where you found this fascinating obit on the Kings Grant / Black Run plane crash?