Timberline gt mountain bike

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
R U sure it isn't GT Timberline? If so, what year? My son has a GT Backwoods which I still have stored. A very nice higher end hard-tail bike back in the day. I also have my other sons bike, a Specialized Rockhopper. I'm saving them for when I am young again. :D

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
Are you picking one up or already have it? The 90s stuff can be decent and is better than anything at Walmart today. MTB of that era didn't really have the geometry sorted out yet. Today's bikes ride better on the trails, less twitchy with a slacker head tube angle, longer top tube and shorter stem. Wider bars make bar ends obsolete for climbing.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I worked in a bike shop in the late 80's early 90's when mountain bikes were first becoming popular. They are much different today. I still have mine from back then. I kind of like the idea of these fat tire ones. Getting caught in sugar sand was never any fun

TheePackRat

Scout
Mar 27, 2014
Atco
I worked in a bike shop in the late 80's early 90's when mountain bikes were first becoming popular. They are much different today. I still have mine from back then. I kind of like the idea of these fat tire ones. Getting caught in sugar sand was never any fun

Fat bikes are what all terrain bicycles should have been long ago. My full suspension regular MTB just sits there while my rigid fat bike gets ridden daily. IMHO, they are that much better especially on sand.

Piney4life

Explorer
Oct 8, 2015
Waterford
Are you picking one up or already have it? The 90s stuff can be decent and is better than anything at Walmart today. MTB of that era didn't really have the geometry sorted out yet. Today's bikes ride better on the trails, less twitchy with a slacker head tube angle, longer top tube and shorter stem. Wider bars make bar ends obsolete for climbing.
Picked it up for free in a pile of 12 bikes rides good

mountainbikemax

Jun 19, 2011
Ohio
I have a Specialized Hardrock with a rockshox recon front fort. I run 2.1 tires and they seem plenty wide. I like to ride Batsto, The wissahickon and white clay.