Timbers (Snakes)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We found these two today at a location where we have never found timbers before. I almost stepped on one of them. If not for me seeing the other one I would have. I suspect they are female and should give birth soon. I am going to set up my game camera and see what I can catch.

IMG_2040a.jpg

IMG_1859a.jpg

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
LOL, I thought this was going to be a thread about wood ("timbers"). If I had known it was about snakes, I wouldn't have clicked on it! :D

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I changed the name so you will know to not look at it :)

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Not at all but I have known a few men to claim they don't like snakes and would run like Hell every time they seen one.That is a little stronger then dislike.My son in law is a cop and scared to death of them and will tell you so.Has been in gun fights and has no fear, fist fights no problem but let a ringneck snake wiggle across his path and he literally gets paralyzed. I asked Him why.He said because nothing with no legs should be able to move that fast.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Jessica is correct.Black rats are shiny like that and always looked kinked up.It's because they climb that way by kinking and grasping bark with their belly scales.They are not very fast on the ground and usually freeze when approached but are excellent climbers.A racer will skedaddle though and is a flat black with no shine.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jessica is correct.Black rats are shiny like that and always looked kinked up.It's because they climb that way by kinking and grasping bark with their belly scales.They are not very fast on the ground and usually freeze when approached but are excellent climbers.A racer will skedaddle though and is a flat black with no shine.

As usual , thanks for the info Al. I will let her know she was correct.

Reactions: manumuskin

Thanks for more detail on racer versus black rat identification. Looking forward to another sighting.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We set up my camera today to watch the timbers. We did not see them today at the location they were at both times before. It is really tense walking around looking for them. They are masters at hiding and I am so afraid of stepping on them. Jessica stays in an open area where she can see all around her.