Time to check your sump pump

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
According to the NWS, we have the potential for over 2" of rain during the next 24 hours. It's been dry down here, so I'm kind of looking forward to this (don't have a basement and live on higher ground). But getting two inches in less than an hour could be a problem for just about everyone...

:eek:

FLOOD WATCH
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
358 AM EDT FRI JUL 8 2011

...THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR FLASH FLOODING THIS AFTERNOON INTO
EARLY TONIGHT...

.LOW PRESSURE MOVING ALONG A STATIONARY FRONT...HIGH MOISTURE
LEVELS THROUGH A DEEP LAYER IN THE ATMOSPHERE...AND SLOW-MOVING
STORMS MAY CAUSE FLASH FLOODING.

* FROM NOON EDT TODAY THROUGH LATE TONIGHT

* LOW PRESSURE WILL MOVE ALONG A STATIONARY FRONT IN THE MID-
ATLANTIC REGION THIS AFTERNOON AND THIS EVENING. RESULTING
THUNDERSTORMS MAY YIELD RAINFALL RATES EXCEEDING 2 INCHES IN
LESS THAN AN HOUR. ADDITIONAL THUNDERSTORMS MAY TRACK ACROSS THE
SAME AREAS...RESULTING IN FLASH FLOODING.

* HEAVY RAIN OVER URBAN AREAS AS WELL AS OVER HEAVILY TRAVELLED
HIGHWAYS IN THE I-95 CORRIDOR MAY BE ESPECIALLY VULNERABLE...IF
HEAVY RAIN INDEED IMPACTS THESE LOCATIONS.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
It's remarkable how many of these storms miss me here in the South. Yesterday evening it rained for maybe 40 minutes and that was it. Certainly a lot less than an inch. So far today - nothing. Looking on the radar right now and a huge cell has just just missed me by only a few miles to the North. The next big front might hit me though, hard to say since this system is moving to the Northeast.

radar01.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It has missed me here also most of the time, and my moms yard in Marlton was turning brown. Just a few miles each way and it was a completely different story. However, today here it has rained most of the day.

I suspect in a very short time you will be getting wet Boyd.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yep, it actually started raining here a little before 6:00 and is still coming down now. It has been heavy for a bit of the time, but mostly it's just a steady rain. Looks like the whole system has shifted south from the earlier one today, and this might last awhile. Will be fun to go down to the creek in the morning and see how high the water level has risen. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Quite a bit of rain! My potatoes plants are turning brown so today with the wet ground should be a good time to dig them all up.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Probably the last thing on your mind on a day like this, but you might wanna check those sump pumps again. NWS forecast calls for somewhere between 2 and 4 inches of rain over the weekend. :)