Time to split some wood

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Within the last 30 to 40 minutes, the rain has completely changed to snow here and man, it is really coming down! Just now started to stick. Looks like the kind of snow that will weight down the trees and make limbs fall off, especially with the high winds.

Quite a night ahead...

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
I haven't been outside yet this morning, but I can tell by looking out the windows we have at least a foot out there. That's a good bit considering the rain and sleet from yesterday knocked down the 4-6 inches we already had on the ground.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
2, maybe 3 inches, with an icy crust on the bottom here. No need to shovel except for the stuff from the plow. Mostly delayed openings in our area.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Looks pretty much the same here, 2 to 3 inches. Have not gone out into it yet, and not sure if or when I will attempt the trek to Philadelphia...

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I'm still splitting by hand...with a maul and occassionally a sledge hammer and wedges for the real thick stuff. My son watches me and says that I'm really strong and my wife watches me and says it's sexy so I'll guess I'll keep doing it this way for a while. Those gas powered splitters do make life eaisier though....but less sexy apparently.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I'm still splitting by hand...with a maul and occassionally a sledge hammer and wedges for the real thick stuff. My son watches me and says that I'm really strong and my wife watches me and says it's sexy so I'll guess I'll keep doing it this way for a while. Those gas powered splitters do make life eaisier though....but less sexy apparently.

It won't be long before your son is old enough to split them better than you, and your wife will be telling you to stop doing it or you will have a heart attack :D

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I'm still splitting by hand...with a maul and occassionally a sledge hammer and wedges for the real thick stuff.

I would love to have the time (and energy!) to do that, but cutting down the trees and hauling all the wood back to my house in a hand-pulled cart is about as much of a workout as I can handle at the moment. I use wood as my primary heat and go through between two and three cords a year, so hand splitting would be quite a job. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Shaping up to be a big, bad one, fortunately not for us.

http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/meteomadness/story/45181/snow-map-for-the-groundhig-blizzard.asp

590x451_01311757_severe1.png

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
We're right on the ice line, and I sure hope it doesn't move north any. If the ice totals work out the way the NWS is predicting tree limbs and power lines will be falling like the leaves in October. The last time we had a bad ice storm it was 36 hours w/o power. I went out today and bought two propane lanterns and a propane heater, indoor rated.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I remember the ice storm back in '98, Quebec was without power for months. I traveled to Montreal that spring and from Plattburgh Ny north all the trees had their tops sheared off like a giant weedwacker had come thru. You can still see the damage done.

There is already talk of another storm next week.

I wonder where this winter will fall on the graph.

acy_season.gif

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
I would love to have the time (and energy!) to do that, but cutting down the trees and hauling all the wood back to my house in a hand-pulled cart is about as much of a workout as I can handle at the moment. I use wood as my primary heat and go through between two and three cords a year, so hand splitting would be quite a job. :)
Im with you.. no way Im paying for that dam propane. I've put the heat on once this winter for about 15 minutes just too make sure it still worked. I've been burning 24/7 since November. We usually go a little over 4 cords a year burning like this.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Thats it Jeff,stay in shape while you still can.Stay away from the cheesesteaks or you'll end up like me,with your wife smacking your backside hollering "give it up you pot bellied stallion"!.....:)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Whoa 46'r....whoa! Why take the side of the people who want to burn garbage in those things and smoke up the neighborhood with stacks that are too close to the ground? I don't see the connection with this article and environmentalists.

You'd have had to live there to understand.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Did you see the new regs for NY? The enviroMENTALISTS are hugging the place to death.

http://adirondackdailyenterprise.co...ricter-outdoor-wood-boiler-regs-approved.html

I feel both sides of the argument have some pretty valid points here. Our old neighbor (about 1/4 mile down the road) in the Adirondacks used to burn all kinds of junk in his boiler and that used to really piss us off. Pretty sure the majority of his garbage went in that thing and it smoked like a mother. Just like wood stoves, I feel boiler units should eventually be EPA approved. However, the old boilers should at least be grandfathered in. Making an immediate change is going to affect thousands of rural NY-ers, who for the most part, dont have much money to begin with. More and more upstaters are now from far away towns and states due to the rising cost of living and real estate up there. For the locals, this means finding a way to make more money, or a new place to live. Most of the political issues in Adirondack Park come from the conflicting points of interest of locals wanting more work and a better economy vs various environmental groups and associations who want to keep the park more wild and preserved. Unlike many state parks where people are not allowed to live in the park, the Dacks are unique in that people and protected wildlife need to find ways to coexist and live together. The DEC finds a lot of ways of stepping on the locals toes up there. I do feel there should be more strict regulations and consequences for burning trash and other pollutants.. example from article: "Their emissions contain unhealthy amounts of particulate matter and components such as carbon monoxide, various irritant gases, and chemicals known or suspected to be carcinogens, such as dioxin."
This ban aint half as bad as the woodstove and fireplace bans that occur in western states like WA, OR, and CA. When they have bad air quality days, they enforce a ban on ALL wood burning. Thats pretty harsh for the people who burn as their main heat source and have expensive oil, propane, or electric as back-up.

MAINE BUSHPILOT

Feb 21, 2011
WINTERPORT MAINE
Firewood

101_3455.jpg110.JPG

You want cold!!!! Come to Maine.Well below 0 almost every night.Only
a few days above freezing al109.jpgl winter .. 5+ feet of snow on the ground!!
The wild turkeys are eating out of the bird feeders ,and they are over
101_3451.jpg 6ft off the ground.. Only burn wood for heat and use about 4/5 cords
a year..AHH Maine.....The way life should be ........AYUH!!100.jpg

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
You want cold!!!! Come to Maine.Well below 0 almost every night.Only
a few days above freezing all winter .. 5+ feet of snow on the ground!!
The wild turkeys are eating out of the bird feeders ,and they are over
6ft off the ground.. Only burn wood for heat and use about 4/5 cords
a year..AHH Maine.....The way life should be ........AYUH!!

Yeah, but doesn't the low humidity make it all worth while? :dance: