Tip Shakedown

Yep, got it in '98, drove it for a couple years and parked it.

149893011.jpg

Cleaned it off and started bringing it back to life this past spring.

167528327.jpg

Nice top. Aftermarket?

Yep, it is a Lenham. The only one I have ever seen.

And some Brit car projects do get finished ;) I finished this in 2012.

160929164.oqAs8qMn.jpg

A jaguar; exercise in masochism, especially the 12 cylinder model. My boyfriend in the '60s in Boston was a mechanic who came home with a bad attitude and bloody knuckles whenever he worked on one of these.
Said they had to pull the motor to get to the last 2 spark plugs.

Another friend had a 12 cyl until he hit a patch of black ice on Rt 2 and spun out. He had a set of plug wires in purple; looked like an octopus atop the engine.
Ah, good times!

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
"Used to be" ? What happened? Just because I got old and creaky doesn't mean I stopped timing the apex.
MS, thanks for the picture of the fuel pump. Based on the picture I'd say it is mounted about half way in the tank.

JG, I used to enjoy, now, not at all, just lost interest, stiff joints aren't enjoyable when sitting on a stool, laying on the ground or creeper or bending over the engine. I still do what I can but find myself going to a mechanic. Just recently I had the upper and lower ball joints replaced on my 1 ton van. Almost had to take out a loan to pay for it, lol.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A jaguar; exercise in masochism, especially the 12 cylinder model.

Had a 12 cyl around 1974, a '72 4spd. Wife used it as her daily driver, we made several trips to Maine, not many problems until the OPUS started acting up. It was tight to work on, no issues at all getting to the plugs, it was just two 6 cylinder's they paired up and they are all right up top on either side. Synching the 4 carbs was the fun part. The sounds it made were heavenly :)

Reactions: old jersey girl
MS, thanks for the picture of the fuel pump. Based on the picture I'd say it is mounted about half way in the tank.

JG, I used to enjoy, now, not at all, just lost interest, stiff joints aren't enjoyable when sitting on a stool, laying on the ground or creeper or bending over the engine. I still do what I can but find myself going to a mechanic. Just recently I had the upper and lower ball joints replaced on my 1 ton van. Almost had to take out a loan to pay for it, lol.

Wth you re no fun crawling under car with old suspension --- not the car, mine! Knees & shoulders have worn bushings. I now have a good mechanic do what I used to; still like driving though.

Had a 12 cyl around 1974, a '72 4spd. Wife used it as her daily driver, we made several trips to Maine, not many problems until the OPUS started acting up. It was tight to work on, no issues at all getting to the plugs, it was just two 6 cylinder's they paired up and they are all right up top on either side. Synching the 4 carbs was the fun part. The sounds it made were heavenly :)

Oh yeah; all those early cars had an adrenaline surging sound. I read that the guys who designed the Japanese descendant of British 2-seaters (Mazda Miata) deliberately replicated the exhaust note of the cars they liked.

Not just the British cars. The Boston guy I was with back in the day had a Norton bike, no car. (Rode it all winter there; he put knobby tires on for snow traction). Great sound. Kinda like a Harley.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Late to the party, like usual. The pump relies on being submerged to exchange heat from the motor windings. It is absolutely true that habitually running low causes undue wear.

@manumuskin. Running it that low isn't great. The fuel pump is an electric motor in the fuel tank. It uses the fuel as a cooling media. When the liquid level is low, the pump runs hot. @Zach McGarvey is a professional mechanic. Perhaps he can confirm or deny my thought

Whats an OPUS?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Whats an OPUS?

Electronic ignition; the problem was specific to the ignition amplifier. Initially it was thought heat was causing the problems. Folks tried moving it to different locations. Eventually they were updated and no more problems; unfortunately I had already sold the car :( I had the 2+2 body style, not the best looking, but great for traveling.

Reactions: old jersey girl
Electronic ignition; the problem was specific to the ignition amplifier. Initially it was thought heat was causing the problems. Folks tried moving it to different locations. Eventually they were updated and no more problems; unfortunately I had already sold the car :( I had the 2+2 body style, not the best looking, but great for traveling.

Ah, Lucas....

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Bob, I usually use 2 local stations, Wawa and Quickcheck. I hand the attendant the credit card, they swipe and immediately hand it back.

Well, it turns out that no skimmer is required for your credit card number to get stolen at Wawa and it doesn't matter how closely you watch the attendant. :argh:

US convenience store Wawa said on Thursday that it recently discovered malware that skimmed customers' payment card data at just about all of its 850 stores.
- - - - -
The malware collected payment card numbers, expiration dates, and cardholder names from payment cards used at "potentially all Wawa in-store payment terminals and fuel dispensers."

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Yeah, I saw that on the news. With all the breaches of security you hear about, nobody is safe. Be watching for fraudulent charges on a few of my cards.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Good Lord. May as well get cash from now on.

How are you going to get the cash? Better go into the bank and cash a paper check instead of using an ATM card for it. ;) I think we can assume that just about every business will eventually get hacked. The the good thing is that credit cards offer a lot of protection against fraud, and they can't get your money until you pay the bill.

If you use a debit card, the theives immediately remove the money from your bank account. Have seen this happen to many people - happened to my daughter a few months ago and the bank froze her account while they investigated, I had to send her some money in the meantime.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
How are you going to get the cash? Better go into the bank and cash a paper check instead of using an ATM card for it. ;)
I try to stay behind the times and use cash for everything possible. Just like my Dad did every week of his working life, I go to the bank every week with my paycheck, deposit most of it and keep out enough for beer, a dinner at a restaurant on Friday night and fueling my truck.

My wife thinks I am crazy for standing in line at the bank every week. She keeps insisting that I get a debit card and I just tell her "Cash is King".
She has a debit card linked to our checking account, so if she gets skimmed, I lose anyway. :(