Today

B

bach2yoga

Thanks, Alfonso, for clearing today's path!
I was expecting a lot of brush and heath, but there wasn't, it was a pleasant walk to the graves.
I saw the tree with the green marker pointing the way to the graves--we noticed the same thing when we were at Amatol, it was marked on a tree with a pink arrow, and on the road as well.
After that, Jim took us to Crabbe's cemetery in Double Trouble that I had wanted to see, then he took us to Barnegat Memorial cemetery to see the sea captains graves. I could not believe the number of freemasons that were buried in that cemetery! I also found one marker in particular very interesting, that of a woman who was a 2nd lt. in WWII. We also stopped at the old railroad station in Barnaget?
From there we headed to Webbs Mills for a short walk, and then we headed for home. On the way home we stopped at the railroad station in Chatsworth that Jim told us about, then stopped to chat with Maryland for about an hour.
Marilyn told me that starting in late January she is going to start having open houses on Saturdays, with different people come in, from decoy makers, Pine Barrens musicians to authors like Howard Boyd. I'll post when I hear more.
Also, I noticed one thing about the snow---it makes for great tombstone pictures. I had tried chalk a couple of times to try to make the engravings stand out more until I found out that it was damaging to the stones. But the snow in the engravings makes the writing stand out beautifully!
Jim, thanks for coming along, we really enjoyed your company.
Renee

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Renee,
I had a nice time with you and your family, anytime. I guess you had no problem finding the Rail Road Station in Chatsworth, see how the current owner retained the original shape to the building? I know of one more former Rail Road Station in Bayville, but that building has had alot of major renovations, you could never tell what it used to be. I can also show you a former Rail Freight Station in South Toms River from 1876, the building is in very bad shape, it has been left to rot, it is a shame what has become of it. Catch you next week when we hit the Southern most end of the State.
Jersey Jim

B

BarryC

Funny that you went to that cemetery. That's known as the Masonic Cemetery. I'm not sure if that's an official, or unofficial, name. All of my grandmom Caselli's brothers, sisters, parents, nieces and nephews are all buried there, and Grandpop Caselli too. I have a very old postcard of that cemetery, which I can add to my gallery. I think it's from 1907. It's only one of maybe 3 or 4 cemetery postcards that I have.
Sounds like you had a great day. And what Marilyn told you sounds cool too.
Barry
bach2yoga said:
then he took us to Barnegat Memorial cemetery to see the sea captains graves. I could not believe the number of freemasons that were buried in that cemetery! I also found one marker in particular very interesting, that of a woman who was a 2nd lt. in WWII.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
Funny that you went to that cemetery. That's known as the Masonic Cemetery. I'm not sure if that's an official, or unofficial, name. All of my grandmom Caselli's brothers, sisters, parents, nieces and nephews are all buried there, and Grandpop Caselli too. I have a very old postcard of that cemetery, which I can add to my gallery. I think it's from 1907. It's only one of maybe 3 or 4 cemetery postcards that I have.

That's interesting. Were any of your family freemasons?
Jim said something about there being a freemason society or something nearby.
I found this list of historical figures that were freemasons. Pretty impressive.

Renee

EXPLORERS: Hiram Bingham (Discoverer of Machu Picchu), James Bruce (Discoverer of the source of the Blue Nile), Adm. Richard E. Byrd, Christopher “Kit†Carson, William Clark; Merriwether Lewis, and Robert E. Peary.

WORLD LEADERS: Emilio Aguinaldo (Philippine Patriot and General), Miguel Aleman (Mexican President 1947-52), Edward Benes (President of Czechoslovakia 1939-48), Sveinn Bjornsson (1st President of Iceland), Simon Bolivar (ÒGeorge Washington of S. AmericaÓ) Napoleon Bonaparte (and his four brothers), King Charles XIII (King of Sweden 1748-1818), King Edward VII and King Edward VIII (Kings of England, 1901-10 & 36, respectively), Francis I and Francis II (Holy Roman Emperors, 1745-65 & 1768-1806), Frederick the Great (King of Prussia 1740-86), George I & George II (Kings of Greece, 1845-1913 & 1922-47), George IV & George VI (Kings of England 1760-1820 & 1820-30), Gustavus VI Adolphus (King of Sweden 1792-1809), Kamehemeha IV and Kemehemeha V (Kings of Hawaii (1854-63 & 1863-72) Leopold I (King of Belgium (1831-65), Peter the Great (Emperor of Russia 1689-1725), William I (King of Prussia 186188), William II (King of the Netherlands (1792-1849), William IV (King of England (1830-37) and many others.

UNITED STATES PRESIDENTS: George Washington, James Monroe, Andrew Jackson, James Polk, James Buchanan, Andrew Johnson, James Garfield, William McKinley, Theodore Roosevelt, William H. Taft, Warren G. Harding, Franklin D. Roosevelt, Harry S. Truman and Gerald Ford.

RELIGIOUS LEADERS: James C. Baker (Bishop, Methodist Church, organized first Wesley Foundation in U.S.), Hosea Ballou (Founder, Universalist Church), Robert E. B. Baylor (Baptist clergyman, founder of Baylor University), Preston Bradley (founder of the Peoples Church), Father Francisco Calvo (Catholic Priest who started Freemasonry in Costa Rica in 1865), Hugh I. Evans (National head of the Presbyterian Church, U.S.A.), Most Reverend Geoffrey F. Fisher (former Archbishop of Canterbury), Eugene M. Frank (Methodist Bishop), Reverend Dr. Norman Vincent Peale (Methodist Episcopal minister and author) Titus Low (President of Methodist Council of Bishops) and many others.

ENTERTAINMENT: John Wayne, Gene Autry, Ernest Borgnine, Joe E. Brown, Bob Burns, Eddie Cantor, Charles D. Coburn, William F. “Buffalo Bill†Cody, Donald Crisp, Cecil B. DeMille, Richard Dix, Douglas Fairbanks Sr., W.C. Fields, Clark Gable, Arthur Godfrey, David W. Griffith, Oliver Hardy, Jean Hersholt, Harry Houdini, Al Jolson, Charles “Buck†Jones, Harry Kellar, Harold C. Lloyd, Tom Mix, Dick Powell, Will Rogers, Charles S. “Tom Thumb†Stratton, Richard B. “Red†Skelton, Paul Whiteman, Ed Wynn, Darryl Zanuck and many others.

UNITED STATES PATRIOTS: Francis Scott Key (wrote our National Anthem), Ralph Bellamy (wrote our Pledge of Allegiance), Paul Revere, John Paul Jones, Benjamin Franklin, John Hancock, Patrick Henry and many others.

MILITARY LEADERS: Generals John J. Pershing, George Marshall, Douglas MacArthur, Joseph Stillwell, Johnathon Wainwright, Curtis E. LaMay, Omar N. Bradley, Henry H. “Hap†Arnold, Claire L. Chenault, Mark Clark, James Doolittle, Admirals David G. Farragut (First Admiral of the U.S. Navy), Ernest J. King, Richard Byrd and many others.

SPORTS: Grover C. Alexander, Cy Young, Jack Dempsey, Arnold Palmer, Tyrus R. “Ty†Cobb, Carl O. Hubbell, Christopher “Christy†Mathewson, Mordecai P.C. Brown, Gordon “Mickey†Corchran, Avery Brundage, Albert “Happy†Chandler, Branch Rickey, Knute Rockne and many others.

POLITICAL: Sir Winston Churchill, Randolph Churchill, Thomas Dewey, Everett Dirksen, Fiorello H. LaGuardia, John Marshall, Barry Goldwater, Hubert Humphrey and others.

COMPOSERS: Irving Berlin, George M. Cohan, Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart, John Phillip Souza, Richard Wagner, Franz Joseph Haydn, Franz Listz, and many others.

INVENTORS AND SCIENTISTS: Samuel Colt (firearms), Sir Alexander Fleming (penicillin), Edward Jenner (vaccination) Simon Lake (first practical submarine), John L. McAdam (Macadamized roads) and many others.

YOUTH ORGANIZATION FOUNDERS: Daniel Carter Beard (Boy Scouts), Frank S. Land (International Order of DeMolay), William Mark Sexton (International Order of Rainbow for Girls)

WRITERS: Robert Burns, Samuel L. Clemens (Mark Twain), Sir Arthur Conan Doyle (Sherlock Holmes), Edward Gibbon (Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire), Edgar A. Guest, Rudyard Kipling, Alexander Pope, Sir Walter Scott, Johathan Swift, Lowell Thomas, Voltair and many others.

SCULPTORS: Gutzon Borglum and his son, Lincoln Borglum (together carved Mt. Rushmore National Memorial), Johann G. Schadow (Prussian Court Sculptor) J. Otto Schweizer and many others.

BUSINESS: John Jacob Astor (financier), Lloyd Balfour (Jewelry), Lawrence Bell (Bell Aircraft Corp.), William H. Dow (Dow ChemicalCo.), Henry Ford, Alfred Fuller (Fuller Brush), King C. Gillett (Gillett Razor Co.), Sir Thomas Lipton (tea), Fredrick Maytag, Andrew W. Mellon (banker), James C. Penny, George Pullman, David Sarnoff (father of T.V.), Leland Stanford (railroads - Stanford Univ.) and many others. ASTRONAUTS: Ed Aldrin, Neil Armstrong, Gordon Cooper, Don Eisle, Virgil Grissom, Ed Michell, Tom Stafford, Fred Haise, and Wally Shirra.

B

BarryC

Grandmom has been in Eastern Star longer than my dad has been alive. Grandpop was a mason when he was younger. I guess technically he always was, since he never officially got out of it. Of course Granmom isn't active in Eastern Star anymore either. She's 99 and still as sharp as can be.
I'll read that list after supper. :)
Barry
bach2yoga said:
That's interesting. Were any of your family freemasons?
Jim said something about there being a freemason society or something nearby.
I found this list of historical figures that were freemasons. Pretty impressive.

Renee

B

bach2yoga

bunnymom3 said:
bach2yoga said:
We also stopped at the old railroad station in Barnaget?
Renee

Jim & Renee,

Where is the old station at?

Nykki

You'd never guess...on Railroad Avenue! :lol:
(I'm teasing you!) I recognized the road from a slide show we had seen on railroads as we drove by and pulled over, then Jim told us which house was the station, as he had been there before. It really is on Railroad Avenue, though. If you're headed south, turn right, go down to the end of the lane, and it is the last house on the left. It's white. You can tell by the roof on the side of the building. It's not the big house across from it, though you might think that.

Barry,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an Eagle Star?
Renee

B

BarryC

That's Eastern Star. That's the women's counterpart to Freemasonry. I don't think I would have ever heard of it, had I not grown up in this family. I always heard grandmom mentioning going to an Eastern Star meeting or dinner or whatever.
bach2yoga said:
Barry,
Pardon my ignorance, but what is an Eagle Star?
Renee

bunnymom3

Explorer
Sep 27, 2003
Waretown
www.geocities.com
Thanks I'll have to look into that tomorrow. I know where the coal bridge is but didn't know the station was still around but never really thought to look for it. When we use to hang out at Wells Mills we'd hear stories from Cliff Oakley about the trains and other things. He was great chatting with. I sure miss before Wells mills became what it is today.

LOL I'm talking to Mitch about this now and we got him thinking. He thinks it's his friends house which would be cool cause I want a tour.

Well I'm off to bed. Have a great night

Nykki

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My dads family were all Masons and I have a very large framed certificate from the 1800's with the Masons seal that his great maybe great great grandfather received when he became a 33rd Mason. He had to travel to Europe at his own expense to receive it. I will unwrap it tomorrow from the protection I wrapped around it and photograph it.

My moms family were and are in Easter Star. I have even attended some of the ceremonies including my grandmothers 50 years of service at the greeter (sentinel?) . My mom has photo's of me there and has all of her pins and awards, and I believe her sister has all of her moms also. I never understood exactly what it was all about and never really asked.

Guy

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
okay I have a question about the Freemasons symbols, Renee and I saw a Grave Marker, it had the usual symbol on it, but then next to it was an upside down star, we couldn't figure out what that symbolized, does anyone know?
Jersey Jim

B

bach2yoga

JerseyJim said:
okay I have a question about the Freemasons symbols, Renee and I saw a Grave Marker, it had the usual symbol on it, but then next to it was an upside down star, we couldn't figure out what that symbolized, does anyone know?
Jersey Jim

I've heard that it is indicative of obtaining a certain level (I believe it is one of the highest levels) in the freemasons, and that it has been sometimes been falsely misconstrued to "prove" other things about the freemasons by those who did not know any better.
Renee

B

bach2yoga

alfonso said:
no problem renee, sorry i looked like such a dork with the snow all over me . i forgot the snow bends the trees into the path . glad to help

Alfonso, I would have loved a picture of you with the snow on your head, lol, but I wasn't quick enough!!! :bounce:

Here's the pics you asked about from Sunday!
Renee

winterscapes

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_album.php

Barnagat memorial cemetery

Crabbe cemetery

10 Mile hollow

Snow ball fights!

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/module...ery&file=index&include=view_photo.php

B

BarryC

Awesome pictures Renee. I just love looking at pictures, and yours are always nice. I love taking them too. Having photo galleries at this site is one of the best things.
By the way, that Bowker tombstone, that person might be one of Grandmom's relatives too. I don't know for sure.
Besides the Gaskills (her maiden name) there are Cranmers, Bowkers and I forget what else.
Grandmom grew up and spent almost her whole life in Barnegat, and of course my dad did too, till he got married and had me.
In that cemetery book by Janice Kohl Serapin, that cemetery is also referred to as the Sea Captains' Cemetery because of so many of them being buried there. I remember seeing lots of graves of sea captains, when I was there.

B

bach2yoga

BarryC said:
Awesome pictures Renee. I just love looking at pictures, and yours are always nice. I love taking them too. Having photo galleries at this site is one of the best things.
By the way, that Bowker tombstone, that person might be one of Grandmom's relatives too. I don't know for sure.
Besides the Gaskills (her maiden name) there are Cranmers, Bowkers and I forget what else.
Grandmom grew up and spent almost her whole life in Barnegat, and of course my dad did too, till he got married and had me.
In that cemetery book by Janice Kohl Serapin, that cemetery is also referred to as the Sea Captains' Cemetery because of so many of them being buried there. I remember seeing lots of graves of sea captains, when I was there.

Yes, that's why Jim took us there. An interesting site!

B

bach2yoga

JerseyJim said:
Jersey Jim

Apparently the symbol is for the female's Eastern Star, the counter part, and I believe it is also used in high level (33rd?) initiates of the masonic order.

I did some more research and found many fundamentalist sites that take a strong stand against masonry. It was difficult wading through the muck to find a solid history of the symbol, but I did find one. Disclaimer: this is not reading material that is advisable for all, please read at your own risk. There are some highly controversial topics, so read at YOUR OWN RISK.

Unfortunately, this is a cached page on google.

Hey, Guy, it was easy to make a shorter link! Glad I finally tried it!

http://makeashorterlink.com/?A21E123C6

Renee