TopoZone Question (for TeeGate...or anyone)

Boomer

Feb 26, 2009
hello all...

I've tried in vain to open various links found in this forum related to topozone; & found that it's part of Trails.com now.

So, I joined...& my question is...how would an old link (like this one from TeeGate...describing the 79 mile marker on the NJ Southern RR in an old thread)...

http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=18&am...0&s=50&layer=DRG25&size=s&u=2

...be plugged in at Trails.com...to get to that particular map/marker ???

sure could use some help on this one...as I'd really like to see everything there is to see on the forgotten tracks of southern nj.

[yesterday, for example...I turned off 563 S of Chatsworth into Speedwell...hung a right at the triple fork there (Speedwell-Pine Crest Rd.)...proceeded NW & ran right into (what must have surely been) Pine Crest Station...where crazy folks (such as myself, for example, who drive all over west jersey searching for abandoned RR ROWs) would have departed the train for Dr. White's Sanitarium there (my apologies to the truly troubled, everywhere).

I took some very nice shots, which I'll be posting on my website soon...but I would very much like to learn everything I can about abandoned railroads traversing thru the pines.]

anyway...guess I'll start w/ the topozone inquiry.

Thanks,

Boomer
Bordentown, NJ

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

Boomer

Feb 26, 2009
thanks TeeGate...

Very much appreciated. not a good thing of late, this topozone, eh?...I'm half sorry I signed up for it, now.

Somebody else put me on to OpenStreetMap earlier today...I think I like that one.

Also starting to get the hang of Google Earth, somewhat. Now, if I can only learn how to export a path I'll be good.

so...79 is Woodmansie? went right by there the other day...the marker's no longer there, right?

thanks again,

B

BTW - just gettin' ready to sit down & watch John Warrick's documentary on the CRRofNJ's southern div. wonder what ever happened to ol' John...I ran a web search & he didn't come anywhere up at all.

BTW2 - on the handle thing (as in...felling a bit chagrined for pulling it out)...a boomer was an intinerant railroad worker...moved from line to line. that would be me, if I had it to do all over again, in some other century

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
thanks TeeGate...

Very much appreciated. not a good thing of late, this topozone, eh?...I'm half sorry I signed up for it, now.

Somebody else put me on to OpenStreetMap earlier today...I think I like that one.

Also starting to get the hang of Google Earth, somewhat. Now, if I can only learn how to export a path I'll be good.

so...79 is Woodmansie? went right by there the other day...the marker's no longer there, right?

thanks again,

B
`

No it is not, but the cement base is. Look for it next to the telephone box. I have not found any milepost in Wharton and the surrounding area that are intact. Then again I have not been to them all.

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Another option for topo's is to use Google Earth with the topographic KML layer. KML is a Google Earth file format.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Welcome Boomer,

If you have a Garmin GPS you might also be interested in my topo maps: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=5929

The Classic and Nuvi versions show all the WMA boundaries, state owned open space and Atlantic County open space (have not yet found comparable data from the other counties). The LC version graphically shows land use/land cover. All versions contain Teegate's excellent collection of POI's (points of interest), including selected JCRR mileposts.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net

Boomer

Feb 26, 2009
hello again...

Thanks.

Did the topographic overlay thing at GE, but I'm not sure I understand how that enhances the view. Maybe I'm doing it incorrectly...but it seems like it would be better of one could eliminate the base layer (leaving only the topographic layer) as opposed to the superimposition. At present, it only seems to fade the base layer in w/ the topo layer, making it look washed out.

(like the WMAs, tho).

also: thanks, Boyd. (are you the Boyd at GPS Review.net?).

so you're saying I can load those maps into my Garmin eTrex Legend?

also: thanks TeeGate for the milepost info.

what I'd really like to do is create custom maps of forgotten south jersey railroads to display on my website. The easiest method I've found so far for tracking is to create a path in Google Earth. But if I could figure out a way to export that path to say, Adobe Illustrator, I could accomplish that goal.

[but what has also happened is (in my research/hiking)...I've remembered how much I loved the pines].

thanks all,

boomer

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I don't seem to remember you posting the link to your website :)

Guy

Boomer

Feb 26, 2009
TG...

in the very early formative stages. I started my current-day photo travel logs w/ the Pemberton & Hightstown RR...but the pine barrens stuff (SNJ, Tuckerton, etc). is coming:

http://www.jerseyrails.com

b