Tour Wharton ORV Destruction

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
This is in Edwin B Forsythe Wildlife Refuge. Within the boundaries of the Pinelands National Reserve. Thanks for sharing the photo. Here is the blog post it was featured on. http://www.pinelandsalliance.org/blog/2016/09/

I have nothing against driving in the Pines on roads, nor does anyone else I communicate with. I want these roads to be defined, and my personal position is flexible on that definition. I would prefer that they be navigable by stock 4 wheel drive in all but flood condition and the historically used roads do meet that criteria by and large.

This gave me a chuckle considering the back and forth that happened over the MAP last summer. Had this seemingly reasonable position been taken by the PPA, I bet there would have been a lot less pushback.

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
The PPA and their cohorts will say anything to move their agenda forward. An example by Mr Howell's post, Wednesday September 21st 2016, on their web site is a picture below of a Snowy Owl sitting in a dead tree. There has been only one Snowy reported in the Pines; 3/7/2014 in a blueberry field off Rt 206 between Chew and Rockwood roads. That looks like a dune area in the picture as they are not creatures of the forest.

snowyowl-ontree-535x282.jpg

Looks like a concession might be in order.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Sorry, I've been out of action for a while, health wise. So for an answer to my question I get sarcasm. Is that what this site has turned into while I've been gone? Been through enough serious stuff to not have time for this.

From my previous question:
"I don't have all the history behind this argument against the PPA, but how did this thread go from a tour of Wharton damage by ORV's to Snowy Owls? In winter 2013-2014, I saw a snowy owl in the plains near Warren Grove. Last time I checked, that's still part of the pines. Does the PPA have some kind of hidden agenda to ban all motor vehicles from off roading in the pines? Don't mean to cause another argument, just not sure what this is all about".

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Sorry, I've been out of action for a while, health wise. So for an answer to my question I get sarcasm.

Didn't Jason answer your question in a straightforward way? https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/tour-wharton-orv-destruction.11630/#post-141309

Someone was trying to say I was misrepresenting where the Snowy Owl photo was taken. They were egregiously incorrect.
-------
I have nothing against driving in the Pines on roads, nor does anyone else I communicate with. I want these roads to be defined, and my personal position is flexible on that definition.

Had this seemingly reasonable position been taken by the PPA, I bet there would have been a lot less pushback.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sorry, I've been out of action for a while, health wise. So for an answer to my question I get sarcasm. Is that what this site has turned into while I've been gone? Been through enough serious stuff to not have time for this.

I may be wrong but you may have misread the posts.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Sorry, I've been out of action for a while, health wise. So for an answer to my question I get sarcasm. Is that what this site has turned into while I've been gone? Been through enough serious stuff to not have time for th

I am not seeing any sarcasm either piker. Jason Howell responded to your question directly in post #18 in this thread.
What am I missing ?

Apr 6, 2004
Galloway
This thread got confused by another poster's tactic of hit and run. It happens all the time. If you are going to post something, and someone challenges you and it turns out you were wrong, eat your humble pie and apologize. It'll make you a better man, and it makes for a better blogging community.

True that. I wonder why it is so hard for some people to make such simple concessions.