Towers of Fire: Iron Production in the Pine Barrens

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
634
49
65
Winslow
furnace slag

Thanks for the article. It is really interesting. I wonder what the difference in slag is between a furnace and a forge. I'm out at Martha Furnace a lot and the slag is all different colors. Did it depend on where the ore came from?
 

Ariadne

Explorer
Dec 23, 2004
141
0
43
Charleston, WV
There are distinct differences between furnace and forge slag, and further, there are distinct differences between the slag from hot-blast furnaces and the slag from cold-blast furnaces. There's a large literature on the subject, and if you're really interested in researching it further, I'd search the Histarch archives. It has been a much discussed topic :)

http://lists.asu.edu/cgi-bin/wa?S1=histarch&D=0&T=0
 

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
7,429
1,361
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Slag is a very interesting thing. Furnace slag will vary greatly depending on the quality of the ore, how good the charge is, how skilled the ironmakers are, etc. I have seen furnace slag that is highly metallic, with pieces of charcoal still embedded within. The slag at Martha is very glass like. Slag that I have seen at Howell Furnace is almost cement like.

Forge slag looks like molten iron that has cooled. There is a decent amount visible at Mary Ann Forge.

Bob, regarding why the fire wasn't smothered by the molten iron -- the iron melted very slowly, and the charge was constantly stoked with air from the bellows. It would be pretty hard for that fire to smother itself out.
 

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
301
0
southern NJ
Furnaces and Forges

Ariadne said:
There are distinct differences between furnace and forge slag, and further, there are distinct differences between the slag from hot-blast furnaces and the slag from cold-blast furnaces.

Can anyone list the names of all of the furnaces and forges that were in operation between ca. 1820 and 1860 in what is today's Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic, Burlington and Camden Counties?

ebsi
 

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
634
49
65
Winslow
bruset said:
The slag at Martha is very glass like. Slag that I have seen at Howell Furnace is almost cement like.

There is a lot of the dark green glassy slag at Martha, but I've also seen something that's a very light shade of green with white spots. You can see what looks like air bubbles in it. It almost had a spongy look to it. Maybe it wasn't slag but some other waste byproduct from the furnace?
 

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
7,429
1,361
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
piker56 said:
There is a lot of the dark green glassy slag at Martha, but I've also seen something that's a very light shade of green with white spots. You can see what looks like air bubbles in it. It almost had a spongy look to it. Maybe it wasn't slag but some other waste byproduct from the furnace?

Sounds like slag to me.

Thanks Tom and everyone else for your kind words.
 

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
12,331
2,568
Pines; Bamber area
ebsi2001 said:
Can anyone list the names of all of the furnaces and forges that were in operation between ca. 1820 and 1860 in what is today's Monmouth, Ocean, Atlantic, Burlington and Camden Counties?

ebsi

If I was retired and had a bunch of time on my hands, I would pull out that map that has 'em all and give it a go.

Trivia Question: Where was Pheonix Furnace located?
 

ebsi2001

Explorer
May 2, 2006
301
0
southern NJ
Forges and Furnaces

bobpbx said:
If I was retired and had a bunch of time on my hands, I would pull out that map that has 'em all and give it a go.

Trivia Question: Where was Pheonix Furnace located?

Bob,

I'm retired --- and disabled, but, curiously, I don't have all that much time on my hands. This summer, I have a lot of painting to do. Normally, the job might take 2 or 3 weeks part--time: It will take me 'til November, and I shall consider myself "lucky," if I get my "pensum" finished by then...

Tell me what map I should get, and I'll do my best to have a "looksee."

I am researching the family history of a collier who supplied many of the forges and furnaces in that time period. I have been interviewing the g-g-gd-daughter of that person, and she maintains that he suppied one furnace or forge, in particular, but, so far, I have been unable to provide the correct name... She maintains that it began either with an "M" or an "N," but "mnemonics" have their own "special" ways of playing "tricks" with our "supposed knowledge" --- especially as we grow older...

I didn't mention "Phoenix Furnace," but, then, I do not recollect ever hearing of it 'til now...

ebsi
 

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
23,479
5,390
Ben,

I have not read it yet since I have been busy with my car and work. I want to be relaxed and have pleanty of time to read it so I will wait until the weekend.

Guy
 

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
12,331
2,568
Pines; Bamber area
I think I may know where it was. Why not meet me at Luigi's Italian place tonite at 6:30 in the center of Lakehurst. We'll have pizza and a beer, then we'll take a walk to the lake from there, passing some great home architecture on the way. We'll go to the cedar grove at the end of the lake too. Its a very nice spot if the bugs are not too bad.
 

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
7,429
1,361
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
bobpbx said:
I think I may know where it was. Why not meet me at Luigi's Italian place tonite at 6:30 in the center of Lakehurst. We'll have pizza and a beer, then we'll take a walk to the lake from there, passing some great home architecture on the way. We'll go to the cedar grove at the end of the lake too. Its a very nice spot if the bugs are not too bad.

Bob, I'm having people over tonight, otherwise I would take you up on this. By the way, if you (or anyone else from the site) wants to come over and kick back with a few beers (Pabst Blue Ribbon, although I have some Heinekins as well) you're more than welcome.

Give me a ring if you're interested.

732-451-0495.
 
Top