Toyota 4runner

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Any of you have opinions on the models from 2010 and older? I'm thinking seriously of getting one, and did quite a bit of research. Hard to find good ones with decent mileage left on them. I would not settle for a 4 cylinder, would like V6. It's amazing to me that the people who have them for sale with over 200,000 miles on them think they are still a good deal. That's not for me. I'd like to find one with no more than 130,000 on it. I need some meat on the bone!

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting reply from a dealer who has one for sale that is $3,000 over the highest Kelly Bluebook value. I asked him about that. He said:

1597624193284.png

I suppose he's right, but it's kind of odd that the book value is that inaccurate.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Any of you have opinions on the models from 2010 and older? I'm thinking seriously of getting one, and did quite a bit of research. Hard to find good ones with decent mileage left on them. I would not settle for a 4 cylinder, would like V6. It's amazing to me that the people who have them for sale with over 200,000 miles on them think they are still a good deal. That's not for me. I'd like to find one with no more than 130,000 left. I need some meat on the bone!
Bob, I have a 2017 V6 Off-Road model with around 33,000 mostly pine barrens miles. I know virtually nothing about mechanical, rust, etc. I have beaten the cr@p out of it, it has a couple of dents, and a couple of the panels are pushed out of kilter from accidently banging into trees. My son makes fun of me, because it is so scratched and beaten up. I know Jersey Girl and others have talked about the rust issue, and maybe that will happen down the road.

The Off-Road model is VERY capable off-road. I think it is a bit wider than a Jeep, so in tight spots on go arounds or narrow trails, I sometimes wish I had a Jeep, hence the dings and scratches. But on asphalt, from everything I've read, it performs much better than a Jeep, is rated far higher in Consumer Reports than Jeeps (for what that is worth here), and the reliability is 5 stars.

I talked to a guy who was hiking by Governors Pond. He owns one, and his son owns one, and he swore by them. Said he would never buy anything else.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, I have a 2017 V6 Off-Road model with around 33,000 mostly pine barrens miles.

33,000 miles in 3 years mostly in the pines? That's a lot. One thing I find myself doing as I look over the ads is spurning the really nice glossy ones, because my heart will break once I go down a narrow road.

slingblade

Scout
Sep 15, 2016
MakePeace Lake NJ
After driving other brands that were not reliable. I returned to Toyota and purchased a new 2010 Trail Edition. It is nicely spec'd w/ the right stuff for the sand roads. No big problems in 100k miles. The stock shocks were replaced around 40k, and the bad PRND sensor (common problem) replaced around 70k. That 4L V6 is very nice. Overall this 4Runner Trail has been easy to live with. The shadow grey paint w/ organic scrub oak pin stripes looks surprisingly snazzy.

I'm waiting to see the new platform(s?) Toyota is to roll out in 2021.

Reactions: bobpbx

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
The pre-2010s are mechanically reliable but rust-prone. They are capable and tough, yes. Look carefully underneath. It isn't the frames that typically rust through, but rather various tubes and brackets. Many of these trucks are at the point where a normal, routine repair becomes a major fiasco because everything you touch breaks.

I am a mechanic at the Toyota dealer, have been with the brand since 2006.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The pre-2010s are mechanically reliable but rust-prone. They are capable and tough, yes. Look carefully underneath. It isn't the frames that typically rust through, but rather various tubes and brackets. Many of these trucks are at the point where a normal, routine repair becomes a major fiasco because everything you touch breaks.

I am a mechanic at the Toyota dealer, have been with the brand since 2006.
Zach, what are your thoughts on a 2017 V6 Off-Road if I can ask? Had the rust problem been solved by then?

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
The newer ones seem less prone to rust. Of course, they are also... newer. Time will tell. Mechanical issues on 2010+ 4runners are very rare. I believe this is because they use a very conservative design that avoids most of the gimmicky technology.

Make sure it isn't too wide for the places you drive. They gained a good bit of track width when the change in body style happened.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
The newer ones seem less prone to rust. Of course, they are also... newer. Time will tell. Mechanical issues on 2010+ 4runners are very rare. I believe this is because they use a very conservative design that avoids most of the gimmicky technology.

Make sure it isn't too wide for the places you drive. They gained a good bit of track width when the change in body style happened.
Too late for that, I already own it. It seems to be wider than Jeeps. But I like it a lot, reliability is key for me. Thanks for the expert advice.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
Landcruisers are just as wide or wider. Those are more for the luxury crowd. Even if the price was no issue, I would still avoid it. If you don't want a pickup, a 4runner will give you the best capability out of probably anything out there.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Landcruisers are just as wide or wider. Those are more for the luxury crowd. Even if the price was no issue, I would still avoid it. If you don't want a pickup, a 4runner will give you the best capability out of probably anything out there.

I don't know. I've had two Tacomas, and the only thing I don't like is throwing all my stuff in the back of the double cab and then reaching for it. It gets old. That and they are a truck so ride is pretty rough.

Zach McGarvey

Explorer
Feb 11, 2018
Woodbury / Vineland NJ
The Tacomas come in either extended cab (small back doors and tiny back seats) or crew cab (full size back doors and seat). You also have to choose either 5' or 6' bed length, with the crew cab. The 5' bed limits your carrying of bulk goods but makes the truck a good deal more maneuverable. If you can live with the extreme slowness, go for the 4-cylinder. It's a bulletproof, time-tested engine.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
The Tacomas come in either extended cab (small back doors and tiny back seats) or crew cab (full size back doors and seat). You also have to choose either 5' or 6' bed length, with the crew cab. The 5' bed limits your carrying of bulk goods but makes the truck a good deal more maneuverable. If you can live with the extreme slowness, go for the 4-cylinder. It's a bulletproof, time-tested engine.

I own a 2009 Tacoma, 4x4, 4L V6, access cab with the 6 foot bed, and am the original owner.You wouldn’t want to ride in the back seat, unless you’re 5 years old, because it’s small. But it does give me lots of dry space for storing my soft items when camping (clothes, sleeping bags, etc). The truck has been solid, other than a persistent radio problem, which is apparently common among these vehicles. I’ve had the frame, and the rear springs replaced by recalls at no charge and the body has zero rust or even dings! I recommend the Tacoma.

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
I own a 2009 Tacoma, 4x4, 4L V6, access cab with the 6 foot bed, and am the original owner.You wouldn’t want to ride in the back seat, unless you’re 5 years old, because it’s small. But it does give me lots of dry space for storing my soft items when camping (clothes, sleeping bags, etc). The truck has been solid, other than a persistent radio problem, which is apparently common among these vehicles. I’ve had the frame, and the rear springs replaced by recalls at no charge and the body has zero rust or even dings! I recommend the Tacoma.

I similarly own a 2009 Ford F150 4X4 V8 6 1/2' bed with shell that I use as a camper. About 250,000 miles. My previous truck was a 1997 F150 4WD V8 which I traded in at 332,000 miles. It still ran perfectly. So does my 2009 - knock on wood head! - except the seals leak oil, which my '97 never did, and the AC needed recharging the last two years when it hit 111 F, which is like every day now here in southern AZ, and some other stuff like the seats and steering wheel isn't made as good as the old one. Scotty likes Ford trucks too. He likes Toyota cars and Ford trucks.

Speaking of 111, it hit 130 in Death Valley a few days ago, hottest since it set the hottest authenticated temp. ever recorded on earth in 1931, 134F. I was there in July 1995 when it hit 129.8 (on their electronic thermometer) down on the salt basin, where I was. I imagine that additional one fifth of a degree made it quite uncomfortable last week.

;-)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd