Trashing the pines

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Some recient pictures of what's going on out Carranza way.

A telephone pole with a long guide wire that was blocking one of the roads into Batona Camp about 1 month ago.
P1020398s.JPG

We're spray painting the trees now, High Crossing. Like one arrow isn't enough. There are marks just like this out at Quaker Bridge. This is not much more than 2 weeks old.
P1020397s.JPG

Apparently it is fun to push trees over. This is alittle over 1 week old. This is by Batona Camp.
P1020395s.JPG

Interesting foot print.
P1020396s.JPG

Today as I crossed the tracks at Carranza I had to go to first gear because some idiot dirt bikers did donughts in the road. There is new trash on Hampton Road into Hampton Furnace. This spring has not been a good time for the pines.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I haven't seen them yet but look at those prints.

Those tracks look like heavy equipment tires, like a front end loader uses.

Webbs Mill Rd from Lacey Rd in Bamber Lake to RT 539 has been gettinig rutted up as long as I can remember and it's maintiained. Unless someone can get a plate # of someone doing the damage, and thats very unikely, it's imppossible to stop and the one doing it know that.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
Disgusting to see this happen! I would love to see these kind of people caught and punished severally. Can anyone see road closings in the future?

JerseyJK07

Scout
Jan 10, 2010
I will be outh there all this weekend. I will be near Batona and all of those with me always keep our eyeout for idiots. We will be taking tag number s and reporting them promptly if any thing happens. We will also be out picking up the trash on Hampton road and Apple Pie on sunday sometime. We cleaned it a few weeks ago and park service was going to go up and grab the trash becouse there were large objects such as windows etc. But they did not get up there intime and the kids trashed it all again.

I know the park police are on a heavy crack down on the guys out there with Douce-A-halfs.

Also the arrows were from the Enduro races a few weeks ago. i saw the teams out doing them all over the place. that is why you are seeing them in alot of areas.

I tracks doo look like heave equipment. could have possably been fire srvice out doing stuff and hit them by accident. not that im making axcusses for them. and not sayits it was surely them. just a thought. Looks as though they were slowly push and ran over. if a larger truck would have hit them they would have cracked as well as been pushed over.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
I have been watching the threads on the conditions around Hampton Furnace, High Crossing, Tuckerton Stage Road and other locations. The roads are getting so bad that I hesitate to even go out there in my car. The weather in February and March did enough damage to the area, but they don't produce huge rutted holes.

On March 28 I visited Hampton Furnace. Due to the huge puddles at High Crossing and the pot-holed mess that is Hampton Road leading to Route 206, I came in via Glossy Spung. The main road beyond the bridge was worse than I have ever seen it. The packing house ruins are also accumulating trash from partying. Then as I sat in my car I watched FOUR ex-military vehicles go by. These things looked like deuce and a half trucks. I managed to take a picture of the last one going by. What kind of outdoor group uses these things?

View attachment 1474

Fortunately they weren't speeding by and did not appear to be damaging the roads. I found High Crossing Road impassable beyond the bridge. I don't think any mud puddle in the entire Pines could stop these things!

I am avoiding all roads in and around Hampton Furnace. I used to like the peacefulness of this place, but now it is becoming too treacherous to get in and out of the area.

Heres the deal with the Dueces. They are cheap and they are dependable, easy to work on historic plates and very capable. You can get a fully functionable duece for about 2500 if you look hard enough. Heres the other thing with deuces compared to a truck with big tires. Deuce and a halfs spin a Redline of about 2000 rpm lol. they are geared ultra low. when these tires break loose they barely spin and they have very non agressive tires. It is hard to rut something out with a deuce. where if you have a 3/4 ton pickup on 38"s and dump the clutch you can dig 1ft ruts in about 2 seconds. I'd rather have the deuces cruising the trails than a lifted truck.

mudboy dave

Explorer
Oct 15, 2008
atco
opentrailsnj.org
you do not need a special license becaus ethey are under 10k lbs. It's considered the same as a uhaul truck, just casue they are big doesnt mean you need a CDL. I have driven one of these up rt 9 in labor day sure traffic. Honestly anybody who can drive a SUV should be able to drive one of these. As long as you know ho wto use your mirrors and how to drive a maual trans, you are good to go I also talked to a group of my buddies who own a few of these and are out there on a regular basis. Apparently the State Park Police are onto this and know who the group kids are who are doing this. They just gotta catch them in the progress. In noway am I sticking up for the people destroying the trees, but i don't want to see everyone jump on a bandwagon that all m35A2's are destructive beasts. You can simply idle through most puddles with one of these compared to most vcehicle where the tires would break loose.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Pushing those pines over really angers me Ed. What kind of person would intentionally do that?

Young males. Like the kind I saw up at Old Halfway last year hacking away on trees with hatchets. Not actually cutting them down, just hacking them up.

Unfortunately most people don't value the woods for being woods. They simply see a big unpopulated place where they can do what they want.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They have been driving them through the woods forever. I saw a large group of them back in the 70s at Hampton Furnace. They drove them over the small bridge that was there before the one that is there now and I know it wasn't made to handle that weight.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
you do not need a special license becaus ethey are under 10k lbs. It's considered the same as a uhaul truck, just casue they are big doesnt mean you need a CDL. You can simply idle through most puddles with one of these compared to most vcehicle where the tires would break loose.

They are a little heavier than 10,000 lbs. Dave. Most are around 13,000 lbs in basic running gear. I had a friend that owned two. One to run and one for parts.
You don't need a CDL until you hit 26,000 lbs.
I agree with you that they do less damage in the mudholes because they are geared to the moon and they only need to belch there way through.
One would be hard pressed to get those tires to break free.
Ahhhh, a Rockwell planetary. If only I could slide one under my F-350