Tree Question-Miscellaneous Conifers?

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hi Folks,

I had a question about some of the trees found in the pine barrens. I've seen mostly pitch pine and white cedar there, but are there also large stands of other conifers like white pine and hemlock to be found in any of the parks there? I love the conifers and am interested in doing a little photography if possible. Could anyone point the way?

Njchilehead

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
ChileHead,

I agree, conifers rule! There are a number of pine species to admire besides Pitch Pine (Pinus rigida). Additionally there is: 1) Shortleaf Pine (Pinus echinata), 2) Pond Pine (Pinus serotina), 3) Loblolly Pine (Pinus taeda), and 4) Virginia Pine (Pinus virginiana). Now for the fun part, I get to use this quirky citation – read Little, Little, and Doolittle, Natural Hybrids among Pond, Loblolly, and Pitch Pines (1967, US Forest Service Research Paper NE-67, 22 p.).

Another conifer to chase is the Eastern Redcedar (Juniperus virginiana), which is really a Juniper.

S-M

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There are some planted areas of other pine species in Lebanon (aka Byrne) state forest, and some even larger areas in Belleplain state forest. There are typically signs placed somewhere in these areas stating what they are and when they were planted.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Bass River SF has plots planted by the CCC. They are along Stage Rd & East Greenbush Rd by the fire tower & CCC camp. Signs have been put up showing some of the plots. but there are others not marked back from the road. The Forest also has a pamphlet that shows the locations. I was there looking for Larch back in autumn.

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
There's larch growing in the Pine Barrens?
You may find this article Helpful

the nursery contained 24,300 seedlings of Jack
Pine, Western Yellow Pine, Scotch Pine and Locust. The Western
Yellow Pine failed, while the Jack Pine prospered. A new nursery was
established in another part of the Bass River Reserve in the spring of
1908, consisting of thirty-six beds, each 4 by 24 feet, on a tract of
loamy sand. After one year, the nursery beds nourished 15,000 Loblolly
Pine, 2,000 Scotch Pine and 900 Douglas Fir. Attempts at broadcasting
the seed of Loblolly Pine on ten sample plots proved disappointing

http://www.bassriverhistory.org/uploads/6/8/7/1/6871754/h-gazette19-_oct_2005.pdf

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Chile,

Jack Pine (Pinus banksiana), Larch (Larix), Spruce (Picea), and Fir (Abies) are technically native to the Pine Barrens, appearing during cold episodes that have cyclically occurred over the last two-million years. Currently we are in a warm interglacial, so their range has shifted north. There was a patch of purported native Eastern White Pine I once visited with Doc Meirs (V.D.M) in a shaded river ravine at Pines edge near Hornerstown, and I've heard of others. If memory serves correct, palynologists have found Pine Barrens-related Spruce, Fir, and Eastern White Pine pollen as young as the Little Ice Age (c.1600), but can’t put my finger on the specific literature supporting that claim. Come to my 2012 Pinelands Short Course talk, Earth, Wind, and Ice: Ancient Climate Change and Periglacial Landscapes, and I’ll explain how this all fits together.

S-M

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Boyd, thank you for sharing that video (and the info)! I've always loved Monty Python, but never saw that skit.

Spung-Man, where and when is your lecture?

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Spung-Man, where and when is your lecture?

Chile,

I was referring to:
March 24, 2012, 10:00–11:00 AM & 1:15–2:15 PM.​
Earth, Wind, and Ice will be presented at the 23rd Annual Pinelands Short Course, Burlington County College, Pemberton, NJ.
Other public presentations on South Jersey’s Ice-Age geology include:
February 16, 2012, 9:00–4:00 PM​
Climate History and Geomorphic Heritage as a Land-Use Management Tool, Morris Arboretum of the University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA.
March 15, 2012, 1:00–2:20​
Earth, Wind, and Ice, Gloucester & Burlington County Master Gardeners, Rutgers Cooperative Extension, Cherry Hill, NJ.
I will also present on Pinelands cultural geography:
April 11, 2012 from 7:00–9:00 PM​
Come Ernest Homeseekers: Ethnic Settlements in the Pines at the Hamilton Township Historical Society, Mays Landing, NJ.
S-M

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Spung-Man, it sounds interesting, let's see if I can make it out there.

Are you a geologist or geology professor? I had some questions about geology that I was going to ask on here but I wanted to try to look them up first, instead of spamming the forum with a bunch of wacky questions.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
I never realized Monty Python was so educational.

Piker,

Not only is Monty Python educational, but the actor Michael Palin is President of the Royal Geographical Society and has been awarded the Livingstone Medal of the Royal Scottish Geographical Society. During the Irish Potato Famine, his great grandmother (Brita Gallagher) emigrated to Burlington, NJ.

Are you a geologist or geology professor?

Chile,

I’m a PhD student at the University of Delaware. It is never too late to learn. My trade is tree-expert, although the role of Pinelands geographer is becoming more and more important. Ten-years ago I was forced off an environmental commission, and realized that my skill-sets were woefully inadequate to be an effective steward of the Pinelands. A BS in Agricultural Sciences (Cook College, ’82) just wasn’t going to cut it. In 1999 I had paired up with an eminent geographer from Canada to explore South Jersey’s Ice-Age legacy out of simple scientific curiosity. This led to an appointment at the University of Delaware, where through scholarships and fellowships I finished a Masters in Geography and, hopefully soon enough, a PhD in Land-Surface Processes. While trying at times, the adventure has been serendipitous. South Jersey is full of geologic marvels.

S-M

Reactions: Bachman's Ivory

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hey Spung-man,

That is very cool! Good luck in your continued pursuit in the program.

I agree that South Jersey is full of geologic marvels. From what (very) little I know about the physiographic provinces of NJ, they are all very cool but there's a lot that I don't understand about them.

That's neat that you are a tree expert too. I'd be fortunate to get the chance to meet up and pick your brain one day!