Tree Question-Miscellaneous Conifers?

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
Oh stop it! Now you are being facetious. You certainly are qualified.
Definately, if I can be on my EC anyone can. I'm learning a lot but I will ask questions so any of you can expect an email if I need some info! BTW, I was botanizing out behind Whitesbog on Sunday and one of our conversations was about katabatic winds.

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Now you are being facetious.

Bob,

Cool adjective, facetious–carefully chosen. But sadly this was no joke or wit. Have you ever gone up against engineers or attorneys at hearings? Sure, I had local knowledge, but now I am better able to complement that experience with scientific knowledge, and use words like katabatic without getting beaten up.

S-M

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Hey Spung-Man, I just sent in my registration form for the Pinelands Short Course, and I signed up for your lecture. Looking forward to it!

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Manumuskin, I now realize that I neglected to say thank you for the GPX and the panoramic shots. Thank you! Those panos are very cool.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Indeed there are a few stands of White Pine planted by the CCC in the Brendan T. Byrne (Lebanon) area. I saw my first NJ red squirrel while walking the BaToNa adjacent to a white pine stand.
lot of red squirrels down here.you hear them first.talking crap in the trees,almost sound like birds.I had one cuss me out once while sitting on a small dead pine limb next to a trunk.I walked over to him and was face level with the little bastard.I could have smacked him into his next life but he was not scared.I knew if I missed he'd be up my arm and tatt0oing my ass before I could drop and roll so I guess I punked down to a red squirrel.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
By the way a good locator is their cone middens.If you ever have passed a small or could be quite large pile of pine cone scales mixed with shucked cone cobs these are where they sit to eat.The often eat on a raised object on the ground such as a log and will leave huge piles in these places where they return to eat again and again.Sometimes they will eat on a limb and then the pile tends to be more scattered. They seem to like pine swamps better then high ground at least thats where I find the bigger piles.