Trenton Terminal

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
1932 WATERWAYS DELEGATES ARRIVE IN TRENTON.jpg

I saw this photo Jerseyman posted The photo below.I was looking for the name of the ship in the photo.
I found this Blog
http://glover320.blogspot.com/2010_09_01_archive.html

Trenton_Marine_Terminal_Dedication.jpg

Reactions: Gibby

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Dogg57, that is Tom Glover's blog. I spoke with him several times. A great person and a local historian for the greater Hamilton area. Mr. Glover hosts many events at Kuser Park, including their summer music program and lawnchair movies. Fun, small shows for lazy summer evenings.:)

Dogg57:

As noted in the newspaper article you so kindly provided, the Wilson Line steamer CITY of CAMDEN carried the dignitaries to the new Trenton Municipal Marine Terminal, a facility constructed under the aegis of the South Jersey Port Commission. The Wilson Line had the CITY of CAMDEN constructed at the shipyard of Harlan & Hollingsworth in Wilmington, Delaware and took delivery of her in 1916. The Wilson steamboat company owned other vessels named for cities along the Delaware, including Chester, Philadelphia, and Trenton. In 1940, the Wilson Line sent the CITY of CAMDEN south to the Potomac and Chesapeake and renamed her for President Washington’ Virginia estate: MOUNT VERNON. She became the CHARLES S. ZIMMERMAN, in 1969 and then the RIVER PRINCESS, a floating restaurant in Yonkers, New York in 1987.

The banner on the bow rail of the boat for the Atlantic Deeper Waterways Association is very interesting! This organization sought to enhance water-borne shipping opportunities by improving harbors, the intra-coastal waterways, and even building ship canals. The members advocated mightily for a new ship canal across New Jersey, extending from Crosswicks Creek, Bordentown to the shores of Raritan Bay in the area of Port Monmouth or Keyport. I have many reports and other documents from this organization in my library.

Best regards,
Jerseyman