Tres Dept to Toyota: "Where did ISIS get all of those trucks?" Pot, meet kettle...

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Well fellow Yota enthusiasts, apparently we're all now being labeled terrorists... Apparently the U.S. Treasury Department is very concerned about how many Toyotas they see in ISIS propaganda videos so they are now demanding to know how they got ahold of them... Nevermind the fact that they are also commanding BILLIONS of dollars worth of U.S. Military hardware-including HUMVEEs:

http://www.cnn.com/2015/10/06/politics/u-s-treasury-isis-toyota/

If they had bothered to ask anyone in the off road community they'd know that Toyotas are pretty much the standard for the 3rd World because they will last a very long time in the worst conditions (Extreme heat, dust, sand, etc...) with little regular maintenance. They're everywhere, so it makes sense that whenever they conquer an area they round up the Toyotas and roll out... Of course, then they'd have to acknowledge the fact that they pretty much equipped them with all of the munitions they have, plus you some of these bastards were trained either by us, or Iraqi forces that we trained...
pissed.gif

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I find it odd that every time I try to sell my Toyota trucks, I get a lot of inquiries from people south of the border. I asked someone why once, and they said they ship them south to family.

When I was in college and I had to leave my '91 Pickup in the driveway at my parents' house my dad had to put a sign on it that said "No Para La Venta" (Not for sale) in addition to a not for sale sign in English. He would get at least 3-4 people stopping by a week, mostly Hispanic guys before he put the sign up. Apparently one of the draws of North American Toyotas is that they are equipped with EFI which most South American Toyotas are not. A fuel injected 22RE is a hot commodity down there.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
They're popular because people tend to want nice things. :)

They're the modern day equivalent, and have been for a while now, of the old boxy Land Rover. Reliable, easy to fix, and parts available anywhere.

Wreckless

Jan 9, 2009
Ocnaled
I used to auction Law Enforcement seized vehicles. Guys who barely spoke english would buy up all they could get with cash and drive them straight to container ships at the port of Baltimore for transshipment to West Africa.

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
I use Toyota pickups for my business. If you change the oil every 5K and maintain the engine, the floor will wear out before the engine dies.

The last two Toyota pickups I put up for sale both sold to the first person who looked at them for 100% of my asking price. One time I parked one of my Toyota pickups in front of my father's business with a "For Sale" sign on it. When I got home ten minutes later, there was already a message on my voicemail with somebody offering me my full asking price.

Now to be fair, I have also sold Chevy, Ford, and Isuzu pickup trucks, and they were purchased pretty quickly too. There's always a market for used pickups, especially today, when just a basic small pickup truck can cost you $25,000 - $30,000.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
When i was in the desert the bedouin were all driving Toyotas as well.You'd be in the Desert flat as a pancake as far as the eye could see and no one in sight.Break out some flats of soda or water or start tearing down any out houses we built and the bedouins would swarm out of these little valleys just deep enough to hide a truck in and offer to by any liquids and wood.Bot big commodities out there.You could live there for days and never know they were a mile away and who says you can't hide in the desert.