Tribute to a Foxhunter: Pomeroy Crossroads

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Great article and discovery! The plaque looks older than the 80s though, weird. Crazy how they do their hunting in the Pineys, eh?? Are there really that many foxes in the pines to hunt? I really wouldnt have guessed! I like the way you wrote this article, the style is simple from beginning to end. Easier to read.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Fox hunting has a long tradition in England. It came over with the English settlers and, at least in the Pines, developed it's own sort of flavor. Using dogs to hunt foxes is now illegal in England and Wales.

Back when I first started exploring the Pines in the late 1990s I would occasionally see fox hunters out. I helped one get his dog back into his pack at Friendship. But I haven't seen a fox hunter in a very long time. I think it's probably just something that the younger generation never got into, is an expensive hobby (all those dogs need to be fed and cared for), and may not be as "exciting" as shooting with a bow or rife.

It is sad, though, because there certainly was a culture with the Pine Barrens fox hunters that is in danger of, if not has already been, lost.

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
That's what is cool about the article because I would've never thought such a thing in the Pine Barrens. Maybe in the early 1900s and prior, but not something more recent. It is neat to learn these little tidbits from time to time that I never knew existed. As always a great job.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They are still out there. Jessica and I ran into two of them earlier this year. They are out in the morning so they mostly go unnoticed.

Guy

Reactions: pineywoman

pineywoman

Explorer
Aug 24, 2012
Gonna cook me up some crock pot coon. Let the pot do me some cooking. (I am attempting a southern accent, however, I don't think it is working)

You think it tastes like snake? Now that is some good meat. Hahahaha (I have tried it,lol)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
But I haven't seen a fox hunter in a very long time. I think it's probably just something that the younger generation never got into, is an expensive hobby (all those dogs need to be fed and cared for), and may not be as "exciting" as shooting with a bow or rife.

It is sad, though, because there certainly was a culture with the Pine Barrens fox hunters that is in danger of, if not has already been, lost.

Bob Birdsall's book, 'People of the Pines' has 1 or 2 remaining Fox hunters bio'd in it.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
has 1 or 2 remaining Fox hunters

I know Topsy Taylor's grandson from another forum. He informed me that Harry Irons past away sometime ago. He also said the Snuffy was not doing well and is bedridden. This was about a year ago.

When I was just of driving age in the late 80's and I really started to discover a larger part of the pines, I would run into fox hunters from time to time. It has been at least 10 years since I have bumped into any fox hunters.

Chris

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Gonna cook me up some crock pot coon. Let the pot do me some cooking. (I am attempting a southern accent, however, I don't think it is working)

You think it tastes like snake? Now that is some good meat. Hahahaha (I have tried it,lol)

If I'm going to eat southern, it pretty much ends at chicken fried steak. If it isn't chicken, steak, or pork I'm generally not interested.

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
In McPhee's book they mention the Grey Fox . I have never seen one .Has anyone here seen one or taken a pic ?? Just curious ....Thanks

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Has anyone here seen one

I have seen many Grey fox in the pines over the past 25 years, I have seen very few Reds. At one location I have a treestand for deer I have a Grey that will come around often. I love to watch him. He moves through the woods like a ghost. I have never seen a Grey on the properties I hunt in Monmouth County, only Reds.

Chris

joc

Explorer
May 27, 2010
Wall, NJ
Chris , Thanks for reply ! I live in Monmouth , see reds all the time ( as well as coyotes ). The Grey looks like such a beautiful animal , can't wait to see one . I need to spend even more time further south :)
Joe