Trip Report - Oswego Back 40

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This past Sunday, the Pine Barren Explorers got together to do a wilderness bushwhack in an area few people ever visit. It is bounded by the upper reaches of the Oswego River and Warren Grove Bombing Range. Its tight back there, real tight and very raw. It is clean pine barren wilderness. We titled the trip “Oswego Back 40”.

The waypoints created for a route were named Park, Waterhole, Pit-Viper, Borderland, Swing, Sugar trail, Sneak, Down, Hairpin, Sluice, Lost creek, Upstream, Wildland, Wilder, Crater, Hideout, Trailhead, Exit, Lost Zone, Point Loma, Twilight Zone, Bra, Seahorse, Breathe, Cove, and back to Park.

The explorers included Guy, Steve (Behrens), Bobbleton, Woodjin (Jeff), Onehand (Stu), and myself.

We began about 2 miles North of the pump station. Our first stop was a couple of pingo-like waterholes, those vernal ponds that are slowly being overtaken by leatherleaf bush. The ones we visited showed very little sign of anyone passing through. In fact, most of the time the area was either absent of deer stands, or the few that we saw looked quite old. A couple were ridiculously high up, perhaps 40 feet up in big pine trees. Strange.

We kept to the upland for awhile and came across some strange bones, way off the beaten path. These bones were from no animal ever to inhabit the pines. They were very stout, thick bones, from an obviously large heavy creature. We shook our heads and left them where we found them, a puzzle to be solved by someone else.

After a couple miles we entered into beautiful savannahs. These savannahs were linear, and ran for several hundred yards each. It was absolutely quiet back on those savannahs and the crisp sunny day made us linger and walk them slowly, enjoying the sights of the cedars on both sides. We came out upon a huge pingo hole that was quite large, 3/10’s of a mile long by 2/10’s of a mile wide. It is now completely covered in leatherleaf, and that has created enough structure for small pines and high-bush blueberry to gain a foothold. Looking across it at a crisp blue sky with cedars ringing the edges was a pretty sight to behold. All you could hear was the wind, gently blowing through the area.

We then headed toward “hideout”, a waypoint that looked especially interesting because of a clearing faintly seen in an area that was very difficult to get to. This was deep in a cedar swamp. When we got there we were surprised to see someone had dragged wooden sections (nailed together) back there with the intention of constructing a very small hut, a blind for hunting perhaps. You know Bobbleton the herper. He could not resist poking around it, and uncovered a decent sized rattlesnake skin.

As we were leaving this hideout, I saw some scat I had never seen before in the pines. It was mostly berries, but it was fresh and quite a large pile. Bobbleton indicated it was almost definitely bear. I looked on google images for sample photos of bear scat and I think he is dead on.

We had to get Guy out to his car a little early, and we could not find a trail that is clearly shown on the topo map. So we had to bushwhack in a swamp over ½ mile through dense briars and heavy brush to get him out on time. We were all soaked in sweat when we popped out on the road. But it was a satisfying romp. Its good to know we can still do things that strenuous at our age (Guy, me, Stu, and Steve that is). On the way out we saw an eagle perched on top of a dead cedar that was standing in the water. It was no more than 50 yards from us. It was magnificent. At first I thought it was a vulture, I did not see a white patch but Steve indicated it was a juvenile.

After we let Guy off we hiked a bit more in the woods along the river, and then back to the cars. All in all another great exploring trek. Peace, quiet, beauty, and great companions to share it with. You can’t beat it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Again, a great day with great people. The upper Oswego once again proved to be an amazing place that needs more attention. Thank you Bob for the report.

The bones

6566.JPG

The old bogs

IMG_6575.JPG

IMG_6576.JPG

And Bobbleton's Rattlesnake skin

6579.JPG

Guy

Last edited:
Definitely a great trip and I have the scars to prove it. What I liked best is that within about a 30 to 45 minute time frame we found the rattle snack skin and bear scat and some of us saw an owl (I think) and we saw the juvenile eagle (juvies don't have white heads or tails). Oh, and back at the trucks we ended with a red tail. Great day. Oh yeah, and I got a great new hiking stick. :D

Steve

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Oh yeah, and I got a great new hiking stick. :D

Steve

Yea..we will have to meet up at the park again one evening. Whenever you have time just give me an email.

I have bruises on my legs from the final push to get to the road. I hit hard when I fell and that must have been when I forgot I had the stick. Odd how that happened. I walked all the way to the car and did not even think about it.

Guy

BigRedEye

Scout
Mar 28, 2006
jersey shore
I saw a pile of large animal bones like that in the Pines, in or around Lebanon State Forest. Horse bones? Cattle bones? I can't remember exactly where they were. :jd:

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Those bones could very well be bovine, and that would be my guess.

I found part of a horse spine in Lebanon SF this winter. I assumed it was carcass that was dragged there. *shrug*

Nice photos! Looks like a great day was had by all. :)

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I did think about it. Remember my analysis? It is somewhere on the board.

But, we'll bring a few in once in awhile. Put 'em away for good.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Bovine = cow. I like to think that Bigfoot had an, um, hand in it. :)
I'd say it's more likely that your garden-variety homo sapiens sapiens dragged it (or parts thereof) there, or it's also feasible that it was a feral cow. It happens. There are some steers that have been wandering along the canal in Griggstown for years. They'd be able to sruvive okay in the Pines. Those bones look like they've been there for a while.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Sue Gremlin said:
Were those the only two bones you found in the area, or was there evidence that it was a whole beast?

We found part of a skull too, but we really could not identify what it was. It was definitely not bovine or equine. It had kind of a forehead, though sloping.