Trivia Question for this Forum

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

The photo at the link below is of two people who's apparent passion for the pines have given many of us on this site quite a few interesting stories to tell, along with filling quite a few posts. Anyway, with all respects to the departed, who are they? Since this is posted in the "Ghost Towns and Forgotten Places" forum, that should give you a vague clue.

Please do not cheat, and only post a guess if you have not cheated.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/782-1/IMG_5767.JPG

Guy

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I know, but I'm not telling. I guess Merle was another tropper who liked to hang out in the pines.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
ecampbell said:
I know, but I'm not telling. I guess Merle was another tropper who liked to hang out in the pines.

Ed

Good one Ed :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The fact that Ed knew it right away is a clue in itself. Another clue for some long time members or old post readers is Ben's classic post:

I want that pay phone!!! But I would never take it because that's wrong.

Remember all, if you cheat, don't post.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Lorun said:
I know, I am not telling either

The fact that Lorun knows is another clue. Even members who have been here less than a month should have read about this and know who those people are.

If nobody guesses by tomorrow night I will tell the answer and end this.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
The fact that Ed knew it right away is a clue in itself. Another clue for some long time members or old post readers is Ben's classic post:

I want that pay phone!!! But I would never take it because that's wrong.

Remember all, if you cheat, don't post.

Guy

I got it now!!! And damnit, I should have taken that phone!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
Was it the owner of Paradise Lakes campground? I did not look.

No....sorry. Same river though! Another clue.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No...you are heading in the wrong direction.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the answer.

The two people in the photo were the owners of Ace Campground in Hammonton. Ed visited there again last month and took Lorun and posted about it. The campground was originally called Camp Swampy and it was changed to Ace to be the first name in the phonebook under campground.

Their initials are still engraved in cement work that they did on the property. It is now owned by the state.

Here is a photo of the their inscribed names from 1969.

http://www.njpinebarrens.com/teegate/main.php/download/785-1/names.JPG

I had problems finding that grave. I actually asked the woman who was opening up the "Ideal" store on the White Horse Pike where it was, and she directed me perfectly to it. But there are thousands of graves there, so Jes and I decided to walk the complete site. We lucked out by parking near it and we found it within 15 minutes. I had called on the phone to ask where it was located first, and they actually called my wife back on Monday, but we had already found it.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I knew it at the clue about the pay phone. At one time I knew they were the owners but it had slipped my memory till that clue. Great trivia question Guy!!

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
Ooh, ooh, I know. I know!

You should have logged on while vacationing and posted. What was more important??????

Guy