Explorer
Sep 10, 2003
the final outpost
bach2yoga said:
AVG found this
trojan horse downloader small 6 t
but can't remove it....anyone?
Renee
As long as its in quarantine you'll be ok. Try to manually find the location and delete it. Its probably in C:Documents and Settings/Administrator/Local Settings/Temp/Temporary Internet Files/Contenet IE5. Once you isolate it just right click-delete.

shoobie

May 17, 2004
Manahawkin
This things have a way of burying themselves in your system. If you do a google search for the name of the trojan horse or virus you can often find a page that has specifics on how to manually remove them. A lot of times this involves deleting things that it has placed in your registry. Make sure that you fully understand what you are doing AND HOW TO BACK UP THE REGISTRY if you go that route. Trust me, you'll never figure out where {K7C0DB872A3F777C0} came from if you don't.

B

bach2yoga

thanks, I ran it avg a couple more times and it seems to have gotten it....I think it found its way to a couple of places, it showed two different infected files, both system files.
Renee

shoobie

May 17, 2004
Manahawkin
That's something you have to look out for too. Some of these things hide themselves from the virus scan (I'd tell you how, but that's a bit beyond my knowledge at present) and reinstall themselves if they get deleted
That's why I say go to someone's page (AVG, Symantec, etc.) and find the details on it. Then you can poke around and see if it's really gone or just hiding. Once these things hit, the pros do a good job of tearing them apart and making the details available.