Tulpehawking Tract

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
Hello All,

I’ve uploaded a scan of an 1825 survey of “Tulpehawking Tractâ€. This is the same property as shown on page 744 of “Heart of the Pines†1st edition. I had to scan it in pieces so please excuse the seams.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3396

Also I’ve uploaded a topo map with the survey plotted. I included the Godfrey Estlow property as shown on page 762.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-3395

Roy

I have the links working now :D.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Very interesting maps. Thanks.

The only problem with maps that old is that I have found that before around the 1850's in the pines they mainly used "posts" made of wood for their corners. Some of the old stones that are inscribed that I know about, were placed there at a later date and back dated. The field notes and historical records are proof of that.

And as Joseph Wharton acquired his property and they all were absorbed into one large tract, the smaller individual tracts were lost over time, and when the state purchased much of the property in the mid 1950's, all they worried about surveying were the outer edges of the new large tract. They even did not bother to survey many of the smaller tracts they had acquired during that time.

So basically we would never be able to look for stones for these tracts because as the said map mentions they used "posts" and they are not on the edges of the Wharton tract. That is unfortunate because I would be interested in finding them. Oh well!

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
So basically we would never be able to look for stones for these tracts because as the said map mentions they used "posts" and they are not on the edges of the Wharton tract. That is unfortunate because I would be interested in finding them. Oh well!Guy

Neat map. Wait a minute Guy, you should have no trouble, these directions from the map are pretty clear to me:

"Beginning at a dead pine the old corner standing by the side of wading river corner to Rob Smiths, said pine stands about one chain above the mouth of a small gully or run of water."

I'm certain we can find that dead pine.

A quote from Heart of the Pines, page 764:

" Steve Eichinger, with his interests in old road returns (the recording of roads as they were layed out) found the return for the Tulpehocken Road. One of the marks on this road was where it crossed the Tulpehocken branch at Hawlings Mill. This must, indeed, be the long lost name of the Mill at Tulpehocken, though it's years of operation are unknown. The road today makes an "S" bend just before Hawkins Bridge. Originally, it made only one turn and ran down the earthen dam, the remains of which are still clearly visible on the west side of the current road. A cut in the dam may indicate the location of the mill, though no race is visible."

Worth checking out I think.

Steve

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I remember reading that when I first got that book years ago, when it first came out. I remember it spiked my curiousity. Definitely worth checking out.

Jeff

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
BEHR655 said:
A quote from Heart of the Pines, page 764:

"Originally, it made only one turn and ran down the earthen dam, the remains of which are still clearly visible on the west side of the current road."
I don’t agree with that based on walking the site. The remaining portion of the dam is too narrow for a road and runs into higher ground. There would be some remains of a road along the hill side.

During the recent low water I found what look like a bridge abutment with wing walls down stream from Hawkins Bridge. I’ll post a picture when I get a chance.

I think when the current bridge and road were built, they took the northern portion of the dam and used it for fill.

Roy

RMICKLE said:
I don’t agree with that based on walking the site. The remaining portion of the dam is too narrow for a road and runs into higher ground. There would be some remains of a road along the hill side.

Roy

I haven't checked the area out yet but time and erosion would have someting to do with that I think.

Steve