Turkey

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The other day I saw a single turkey cross Alexander Rd. in Princeton and start to walk into a field that had to have ~200 Canada geese in it. For every step the turkey made into the field the geese retreated farther into the field. So weird to see so many geese afraid of a single turkey.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Do you hear a lot of gobbling around your house in the spring?

Sitting here at the computer this morning and just heard a loud "gobble gobble gobble". Looked outside and counted 18 turkeys right next to the house, with three big males showing off their feathers and strutting around. Grabbed my camera but made enough noise to spook them and they ran off into the woods.

Is the mating season starting already, or has the warm weather just confused them?

Reactions: Hewey

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
Is the mating season starting already, or has the warm weather just confused them?

This is about the time of the year you will start hearing the Toms gobble in the morning. The mating season is not far away.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Here's my fearless turkey story: Not long after we moved into our current home I happened to look out back and see our cat squaring off with two large Toms standing in front of a small flock of hens. I stepped out onto the deck and shouted at them, with the idea that my mere appearance would frighten them off. They both charged me, straight at the deck. That's the day I learned about turkeys :).

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
The other day I saw a single turkey cross Alexander Rd. in Princeton and start to walk into a field that had to have ~200 Canada geese in it. For every step the turkey made into the field the geese retreated farther into the field. So weird to see so many geese afraid of a single turkey.

Ben i work right near there, have you ever explored that weird industrial lab back off Shalks Crossing? Nice little woods back there.

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
Shalks Crossing is part of Plainsboro/South Brunswick. There are a lot of turkey in East Windsor & Assunpink too.

Regarding Turkeys leaving their roost trees, up our cabin in the Poconos, they roost around the spring and wait until you are ben over dipping a bucket of water b/4 bursting forth from overhead.

Trailwalker

Scout
Sep 5, 2023
(ex-piney) in Florida
Another thread I loved. Down here in Florida it is said that the appearance of some Roseate Spoonbills is a sign of a flourishing ecosystem in the area. I would think that could apply to turkey populations in the Pinelands. Should really be our National bird instead of the eagle as Franklin originally proposed.

Reactions: 66C10

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
Another thread I loved. Down here in Florida it is said that the appearance of some Roseate Spoonbills is a sign of a flourishing ecosystem in the area. I would think that could apply to turkey populations in the Pinelands. Should really be our National bird instead of the eagle as Franklin originally proposed.
I was recently in Moccasin Lake Park in Clearwater they have 2 injured bald eagles that would not survive if released back to the wild. Anyway getting to see those birds up close was impressive. I’ve had plenty of turkey encounters while hunting but never bald eagles.