Turtle Eggs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Later in the summer last year we found a location where there were multiple spots that turtles had laid eggs, and the sites had been raided by animals. The eggs were laying all over the place. So last weekend we started visiting there again hoping to see the turtles in action. We saw nothing. Even a close inspection of the ground made us believe we were early. We went again this morning and found multiple locations where it was obvious the turtles had arrived. I saw online they do test digs and I am certain there were a few. The ground was only soft on the top. However, at one location the eggs had all been destroyed. I threw in the broken eggs and covered it over.

Looking around we found another site with the eggs laying out; however, only three of the eggs had been destroyed. All of the rest were still in the ground with one of them having a slight dent in it. How long they had been uncovered I am unsure of. We proceeded to cover them over and I took this photo of the top dented one before fully covering them all. Hopefully, they are not raided again and will survive. We need to calculate when we think they will show themselves and make sure we check them often at that point.

IMG_2431a.jpg

IMG_2430a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On a more serious note, what is your opinion of this that happened to us this morning. Think about it, do you look right before and when entering a road that you have a lane to go into? Seriously, think about this and how you drive. This was at Chew Road and 206.

Was I at fault?

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
That was scary. I'm no expert, but you did sort of roll through that stop sign without coming to a full stop. If the passing driver had a dashcam too, it probably would have recorded that. I'm guessing the survivors in both cars, if any, would have been cited... Let's all be really careful out there.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Was I at fault?

IMO, yes for not coming to a stop. You were probably looking left, down the lane you were turning into for oncoming traffic. I was taught to look in both directions. You were fortunate the other driver had room to move over and was not next to the pickup, which also appeared to move over a bit. It only takes a second to die. Those rounded intersections always have the stop sign placed where there is no good view of the traffic; it invites rolling the stop. I have seen many intersections without a solid line on the main road, all have been T intersections like that one. All the + intersections have either double or single lines on the main road for some distance on either side of the intersection.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In any event, it shook me up. Jessica was asking me if I was okay.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Guy, I don't think it was your fault. It was just a freak coincidence that he pulled out of his lane just as you hit the gas. A one in ten thousand rarity.

But yes, you should have looked right if you did not, but still you might have gone anyway even if you had looked. He pulled out when you did.

And I agree with Imkms.

T

Toothy Critter

Why would there be a stripped line at that part of 206? Should be a solid line for no passing!

My understanding is that it is illegal to pass at an intersection regardless of the stripes in the road. I actually got a ticket for doing just that many, many years ago. It would be nice for the State to paint solid lines even if it is not a full intersection. But still... look.

Last edited by a moderator:

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
The other driver didn't do anything wrong, his decision to pass was made before you entered the equation.
Agree it shouldn't be striped a northbound passing zone at cross street (southbound passing probably OK)
Also agree the stop point is way too far back to be useful
Sure that got everyone's heart rate up!

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I would say if he started to pull out into the passing lane before you pulled into it I"d say it was your fault on the other hand if you were already in the lane when he pulled out it would be his fault.I have had the same thing happen to me and now i always try to remember to look to the tight as well as the left.I think if I had of been the guy passing I'd have seen you pull up and that your car was angled to turn right and I'd of cancel my pass till I was beyond you.Now that I"ve rewatched it it does appear he was out in the lane before you turned. and he was in a passing zone.I think I"d have to say it would have been your fault Guy but if it makes you feel any better I"ve done the same damn thing a hundred times but my couple of close calls weren't quite that close. I think we both need to start looking both ways more often:)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Was all over the place today and saw turtles crossing the road in many places. We walked to this location and in the middle of the intersection we found this little lady.

IMG_2971a.jpg

We had a deadline on getting home today so on the way back we checked again and it looks promising. We had to leave. We will keep a watch to see if all goes well.

IMG_2432a.jpg

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Also agree the stop point is way too far back to be useful

To me, it looks like the stop point is well-positioned. But you are supposed to come to a full stop there, then slowly pull forward and look both ways. That's not what I saw Guy doing in my quick watch of the video, he seemed to be going rather fast when he reached the stop sign and he rolled through it.

Regardless of sign placement or who was right or wrong.... would it make you happier to know you were right when you're dead? :eek: I try to make a point of always looking both ways, but last week I just pulled into an intersection without looking when the light changed and was nearly broadsided by a someone who ran the light! That shook me up pretty good and you can bet I'm looking both ways now! :)

Last edited:
Looking at the video again, I think the passing driver was not looking far enough ahead. That driver's better option would have been to brake and drop back behind the car he/she was trying to pass.

As for Boyd's comment, too many people think the yellow light means gun it to get through the intersection. I don't do that anymore.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I believe the stop "line and sign" are back far because people cut the corner there and clip the cars like mine coming into the intersection. I find myself cutting the corner also because everyone is riding on my bumper when trying to make the left onto Chew. Jessica is always looking in the mirror worried we will be hit.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
To me, it looks like the stop point is well-positioned. But you are supposed to come to a full stop there, then slowly pull forward and look both ways...

Understand stop means stop. A stopping point at an intersection where you can not see, or be seen, serves no purpose IMO.
How about them Turtle Eggs :)