Turtle Eggs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yea. It is insane how many turtles don't make it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
In regards to mine above, they were not there the week before.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
On a more serious note, what is your opinion of this that happened to us this morning. Think about it, do you look right before and when entering a road that you have a lane to go into? Seriously, think about this and how you drive. This was at Chew Road and 206.

Was I at fault?

Wow. That is a deadly mistake at that intersection Guy. I am used to it because I live here and I have made that turn thousands of times in the last 36 years. 206 is a two lane highway at that spot and there are no conditions that warrant a No Passing zone through the intersection for the 206 motorists. Myrtle Avenue at the Red Barn Farm Market is another example. That is a 4-way intersection with 206 and passing is not prohibited on 206 through that intersection either.

I literally look right before I look left when I am turning right onto 206 after stopping on Chew. It's really frightening when you are just coming up to the stop on Chew and a car is steaming north on 206 in the passing lane and he streaks past your front bumper at 70 mph.There have been several bad accidents there due to that very same maneuver. The highway has a 55 mph speed limit in that stretch so it is more than reasonable to assume that in that undeveloped area that most vehicles are traveling between 60 and 70.

The other scary maneuver for me is turning onto Chew from northbound 206 when I am on the motorcycle. My sister-in-law got drilled there in a Nissan Pathfinder several years ago by an inattentive driver. The guy never even hit his brakes. She had her wheels cut in the direction of her turn as she was waiting, a bad move which could have easily gotten her killed. When she got hit, her car was pushed across the southbound lane and she ended up in the ditch on the southbound side. She is still wracked today.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Is it possible some did break out, and the shells were then licked clean after that by a possum or something?
Good point, and I don't actually know for sure this was turtle-cide. But it seems to me if the turtles hatched and left, the shells would still mostly be in or near the hole, wouldn't they?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Good point, and I don't actually know for sure this was turtle-cide. But it seems to me if the turtles hatched and left, the shells would still mostly be in or near the hole, wouldn't they?

Not if a critter pulled the shells out to lick the insides. Mind you, this is just a theory of mine.