Two Bear Sightings Reported In Winslow Township

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
WINSLOW Twp., N.J., (CBS) — Police say there have been two bear sightings reported in Winslow Township, Camden County on Wednesday.
The first sighting was along the Wharton Ave in the Elm section of the township this morning.
The second sighting was at about 4 p.m. in the Waterford Works section of the township. This sighting was confirmed by the police.
The bear was last seen on Pennington Ave crossing into Waterford Township. Police say this does not mean that the bear may not wander back into Winslow at any given time

http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/2014/06/11/two-bear-sightings-reported-in-winslow-township/

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Saturday I came across a pair of bear tracks in Wharton. I followed them for more than a mile and saw several spots where the pair dug holes foraging. It was exciting to see in person!

From what I saw, I would say it was a sow and cub.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
There were also sightings in Manchester Twnshp and Wall Twnshp over the past couple weeks. :bear:
Yep, there is at least one in Whiting. Talked to a few people who had it in their yard and took some pics. Probably the one they released in Brenden Byrne last year.

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
photo.JPG

Reactions: MikeBickerson

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is sad that these creatures are down here. There is no place for them to live and sustainable food is only trash cans and dumpsters.

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
It is sad that these creatures are down here. There is no place for them to live and sustainable food is only trash cans and dumpsters.
Agreed, what's even sadder is the approach law enforcement etc is taking towards this animal. They have decided that unless it is in heavily trafficked areas or is otherwise causing trouble they will just monitor it. I think for the bears safety it should be tranquillized and returned to a safer area. I also think moving this bear to Wharton, as was done with last years bear, would also be a mistake.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

You need to research your bear facts Tee. They have a relative smorgasbord down here, probably more food available here than where they are coming from.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You need to research your bear facts Tee. They have a relative smorgasbord down here, probably more food available here than where they are coming from.

Your statement interests me. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am curious as to where you get your information that the NJ Pine Barrens are a diner's delight to a black bear.

I want you to know upfront that I disagree with the NJDEP dumping bears in the Pine Barrens. They are likely problem bears to begin with, already acclimated to humans, and, I don't see the purpose. If the purpose is to relieve some of the strain from too many in North Jersey, then that begs other questions.

Reactions: ecampbell

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Your statement interests me. I'm not saying you are wrong, but I am curious as to where you get your information that the NJ Pine Barrens are a diner's delight to a black bear.

Just common sense Bob. As you know they are omnivores and will eat just about anything; fruits, plants, nuts, bugs, small animals, road kill, donuts,, hikers etc., but mostly plants. Lots of all of that around. These bruins are most likely young males striking out on their own, happens every year since they began re-populating in NJ, and I have no doubts it will continue. IMO, it's a good thing, ag folks may feel otherwise. F&W offers a free DVD, "Living with New Jersey Black Bears", a pretty good video since they will soon be neighbors, if they aren't already.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Well, I think it sucks. I go in deep and usually alone. I'll have to make more noise and be on guard more, which hinders my freedom. Selfish? Maybe, but that's just the way I feel. Can't change.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Funny, I am re-reading McPhee's The Pine Barrens and on page 41 he quotes an article about the pine barrens in The Atlantic from 1859

It is a region aboriginal in savagery, grand in the aspects of untrammelled Nature; where forests extend in uninterrupted lines over scores of miles; where we may wander a good day's journey without meeting half-a-dozen human faces; where stately deer will bound across our path, and bears dispute our passage through the cedar-brakes

:)

Reactions: Gerania and 46er

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Well, I think it sucks. I go in deep and usually alone. I'll have to make more noise and be on guard more, ....

Why? Any bruin worth his salt will smell you long before you see it and be gone, unless it's looking for a quick snack. ;)

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Well, I think it sucks. I go in deep and usually alone. I'll have to make more noise and be on guard more, which hinders my freedom. Selfish? Maybe, but that's just the way I feel. Can't change.

I don't think that they will bother you. Beside other random food sources, there are tons of blueberries and huckleberries down here, I believe that they will be well fed and content. I hike occasionally in what would be considered pretty dense bear country. I've only seen a single bear here in NJ and it ran and hid behind a tree. Just my $0.02.

Reactions: joc