Two trips to the pines

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We went looking for a property stone on the Warren Grove Bombing Range line yesterday that old surveys called the "White' stone. On the way there on Allen's Road just before Bartletts Bridge, I noticed an area that obviously was inhabited at one time in the past, so we stopped to check it out. There is a pretty good size cellar hole there that maybe was the home of Bartlett, and looking over old aerials back to 1931 there is no evidence of something being there which makes me think it predates that.

IMG_4796.JPG

We then headed off to find the stone and upon exiting my car we heard tree frogs right near us. We spent the next hour sitting on various sides of the swamp trying to find them which proved unsuccessful. So we continued on to find the "White" stone which was not white at all. Did they have glasses back then??? :)

IMG_4802.JPG

Saw this chillin.

IMG_4804.JPG

On the way back to the car we tried again, but the frogs eluded us once more. So eventually we headed home and I spent then next few hours thinking about them. So around 5PM I called my brother and the three of us drove the hour ride back and set up chairs near the road in the woods. It is really quiet there with no vehicle traffic at all, and before long we were hearing them from all over.

Can you see it? It took me forever and I was there.

IMG_4824.JPG

It was actually quite dark so my photo's are slightly grainy, and the photo's make it look much bigger than it really was. The two I found were really small.

IMG_4826.JPG

IMG_4832.JPG

IMG_4834.JPG

I accidentally caught the branch that it was on with my camera strap, and it hunkered down to stay in place. His face sure looks like Kermit the frog!

IMG_4835.JPG

IMG_4840.jpg

Guy

whippoorbill

Explorer
Jul 29, 2003
Bridgeton
All,

We then headed off to find the stone and upon exiting my car we heard tree frogs right near us. We spent the next hour sitting on various sides of the swamp trying to find them which proved unsuccessful. ...

On the way back to the car we tried again, but the frogs eluded us once more. So eventually we headed home and I spent then next few hours thinking about them. So around 5PM I called my brother and the three of us drove the hour ride back and set up chairs near the road in the woods. It is really quiet there with no vehicle traffic at all, and before long we were hearing them from all over.

Guy

Ha! Laughing out loud here, Guy. Those beautiful rascals can surround you by the dozens, wonking maniacs all, and somehow remain invisible. :) But once one reveals himself, the others seem to present themselves for modeling. Great job; great post. I'm so glad you decided to head back out and find them.

Bill

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report Guy. we are about at the summit of the tree frog mating season now I guess, nice frog! That old cellar hole is interesting. I found one in the Warren Grove area a long time ago but I am pretty sure that is not it. It really makes the imagination wander to speculate about the inhabitant.

Jeff

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
I like your spider, Guy; he's impressive against that golden background. And the frogs! I'm glad you found some pbtf's--they're so tiny, so beautiful, and so hard to spot. Sounds as if y'all are having a wonkin' good spring after all.

Glo

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy,

Did you see what I meant about the frogs will lure you in and then start playing games with you? You'll get close to one and then he'll shut up and you'll get tired of waiting and then another will call and you'll head towards him only to repeat the scenario.I believe they have quite a bit of fun with this game."Hey boys! How long you think we can keep this idiot running in circles?!" If you hunker down and pick your frog and wait and wait....and wait you'll usually get him.That was really nice catching him on a brown limb that high off the ground.their usually down in the water in the grass and make you get wet for a good shot.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Guy,

Did you see what I meant about the frogs will lure you in and then start playing games with you? You'll get close to one and then he'll shut up and you'll get tired of waiting and then another will call and you'll head towards him only to repeat the scenario.I believe they have quite a bit of fun with this game."Hey boys! How long you think we can keep this idiot running in circles?!" If you hunker down and pick your frog and wait and wait....and wait you'll usually get him.That was really nice catching him on a brown limb that high off the ground.their usually down in the water in the grass and make you get wet for a good shot.
Al

Yes, that is what they did to us. It actually is above water. I was in my knee highs and Jessica was right on the edge of the water getting her feet wet. My brother did not go near the water I believe. :)

Guy

Tom

Explorer
Feb 10, 2004
Nice photos guy. I have never seen a tree frog; though, I hear them all the time. We bought a house that is literally situated in a swamp last year. It's a stupid place for a house, but it sure is neat, especially for the little ones.