Tylertown To The Tulpehocken

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Today was our first day this fall to really do some exploring to search out or narrow down pieces of history that Al, Jessica, and I have an interest in. Recently, I learned that there was a cemetery at Tylertown that even in the 1860s was called the "Old Graveyard." I have acquired two descriptions on record with the state of a single tract of land at Tylertown where this grave is/was located, one being a more modern description from 1879 and the other much older.

After reading this information I first consulted "Heart of the Pines" to see what John Pearce says about Tylertown. On page 167 he writes:

Though the old township records list it as both Tylertown and Tyler Town, no family by the name of Tyler is known to have lived there at an early date. There was a Samuel Tyler, twenty-five years of age, living in the township when the 1850 census was taken, along with his wife, Sarah (23), and his two daughters, Emily (3) and Alwilda (1), but there is no way to prove just where he lived, and the name certainly predates him. Budd Wilson, Jr. of Green Bank says that the name did supposedly come from a Samuel Tyler, but if so, it must have been Samuel's father.

The township birth records for 1848-1877 list the first birth for Tylertown as that of Lavinia Ford, daughter of Charles and Elizabeth Ford, on June 10, 1848, followed on September 9th of the same year by the birth of Hannah Ford, daughter of Reuben and Birtha [sic].

The information I have predates all of this, and we now know that this particular tract of land in 1793 was owned by Abraham Tyler, Jr. who sold the property to Stephen Ford on 9/4/1793. After Fords death his estate sold it to Isaac H Brown who sold it to Augustus E, Koster on 2/15/1879. I also have conflicting information saying it was awarded to Jeremiah Ford, Sr., Jeremiah Ford, Jr., and Samuel Crowley by Elias Wright who was Wharton's surveyor.

In any event, the information gives a very detailed description on where the cemetery was/is located from a particular stake on the corner of the property. Fortunately, the state surveyed the corner when Wharton was purchased and Al, Jessica, and I were able to find that today.

IMG_8234.JPG

The description from that monument which then was a wooden stake is as follows.

Is and should be a stake standing in a corner S71°W 6 chains and 16 links from an old pine stump standing in the middle of a small pond on the south and east edge of an old clearing at Tylertown, said pond lying in a course of nearly 82°E 9 chains from an old graveyard.

So Al and I did some calculating separately and we both came within 30 feet of each other for the location of the graveyard. Obviously, we did not expect to find anything there and that was the end result. However, we did some exploring and maybe narrowed down where the pond is located and will spend some time in the next few months there again when the vegetation is gone.

Next, we decided to look for the stone corners of this property right near Mount.

NearMount.jpg

This property was owned at one time by Nicholos Sooy who sold it to Noah Sooy. When the state purchased Wharton this tract was owned by the estate of Masel Gager of Medford. I am assuming the state was in the process of purchasing the property because they did not survey it. They must have felt there was no need to since once they acquired the landlocked property what would be the point of surveying it. They did know the approximate location and that it what you see on the map above.

So our agenda today was to find the stones on the corners. The northern portions is actually a stone hill which Al I believe correctly concluded that the one large cellar hole looking area was one of the many locations where property stones were acquired. Someone in the past spent quite a bit of time digging up the stones provided by nature there. The southern portion is unlike that, so we headed to where we felt the stones may be and came up empty. Frustrated, we headed north and about 200 feet from where we were looking I looked down and found the corner stone. Pure luck that we headed to this location and I looked down.

The corner stone with an adjacent property stone which is quite common.

IMG_8239.JPG

Indian Pipe found along the way.

IMG_8235.JPG

IMG_8236.JPG

Then we headed to the Tulpehocken to do Al's 360. I took video of him making it which I will have later. On our way out we stumbled on some Pine Barren Gentian

IMG_8246.JPG

IMG_8247.JPG

IMG_8248.JPG

Guy

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BTW, I took the video of Al using my camera sideways, and I don't have the software on my Mac to rotate it. So as of now I can't upload the video to youtube.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I was confident it was in the Heath family, but I couldn't judge it's size or scale. I have yet to see a Gentian in person yet. They are so beautiful. The second photo of Teegate's, makes it almost appear to be made of glass.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report Guy. I think you should definitely try to pinpoint/visit the graveyard and pond. I doubt there will be anything left (of the graveyard) but it will interesting never the less to be there. How long do bones last in our soil I wonder?

Hey, is that video of Al right along the Tupe? Right were we met up that time (I was in my kayak)?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Jeez Al, you slop around that mud like you were born in it! :p

That creek is moving as fast as the Hudson does up in the Adirondaks.

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Teegate, thank you very much for the tip on the location of the Gentian(s). I found the flower first thing this morning but it wasn't open yet. I took a few pictures and explored the surrounding area until the sun was higher. It was well worth the wait! I now have another favorite. The flowers are a darker blue in person. Marvelous! Bladderwort, Pitchers and Gentians, plus red squirrels, made for a great morning. The cool weather and the lack of mosquitoes just added to it. I also met another member Steve (Behr655) who was launching kayaks and we had a nice chat. Thanks again!;)

glowordz

Explorer
Jan 19, 2009
SC
www.gloriarepp.com
What a great story and beautiful pics! The video is a bonus, hearing the Panorama Kid's commentary and the squelching muddy sounds. Love the gentian shots. Turtle showed me my first gentian, and I'll always remember it.

Many thanks!
Glo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have an interesting update for all of you.

In my first post I mentioned that the stone I found was the property corner of Masel Gager of Medford. However, the spelling of Masel is incorrect. The actual spelling of the name is Mancill Gager. I have learned that Mr. Gager's family were at one time charcoalers, and he also was a general contractor. He built most of the log cabins in Medford Lakes by purchasing various cedar forests and using the wood. I am in the process of finding out if he also used the sandstone found at this location for building foundations and for other uses. I now know where I can find the family historian and will be paying him a visit sometime in the near future. Hopefully, I can pass along some interesting info to you.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=37349221

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I once had an old man that was a friend of mine in WV,his name was Mancill.He pronounced it Manchill.He let me in his cave after he drew his coffee water so as I didn't muddy it up.Next time I went back i brought him a can of TOP rolling Tobacco and he took me ramp diggin.I miss him.
Al

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I have an interesting update for all of you.

In my first post I mentioned that the stone I found was the property corner of Masel Gager of Medford. However, the spelling of Masel is incorrect. The actual spelling of the name is Mancill Gager. I have learned that Mr. Gager's family were at one time charcoalers, and he also was a general contractor. He built most of the log cabins in Medford Lakes by purchasing various cedar forests and using the wood. I am in the process of finding out if he also used the sandstone found at this location for building foundations and for other uses. I now know where I can find the family historian and will be paying him a visit sometime in the near future. Hopefully, I can pass along some interesting info to you.

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=37349221

Guy
that is interesting new information. I recall that most of the log cabins in medford lakes were built for affluent philadelphians for summer homes.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Some Medford Lakes history can be found on pages 171-172 of "Iron in the Pines". It credits Clyde W. Barbour buying the land and doing the original planning and Leon Edgar Todd with realizing the project in 1927. I lived in one of the old log cabins for several years and my daughter is a good friend of Todd's great granddaughter. It takes a certain kind of person to live in those cabins, they are kind of quirky since they weren't built as year-round homes originally. Sold mine at a nice profit just before the real estate crash.

That is indeed interesting Guy, I always really liked Medford Lakes because it's such a unique place. The first time I drove through, I wanted to move there. About 20 years ago I had a chance to buy one of the original cabins on Upper Aetna Lake at a really good price. Always regretted not doing that.