Tylertown To The Tulpehocken

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Here is an interesting update to this thread concerning the stone hills near Mount that Al, Jessica, and I visited. While looking for property stones Al and I found an area where the removal of sandstone was apparent, and I was wondering if Mancill Gager who had owned the property at one time had removed the stones for construction of the homes in Medford Lakes. Here is one line that I posted which is important.

Someone in the past spent quite a bit of time digging up the stones provided by nature there.

The location.

NearMount.jpg

Now the update.

I spent most of the day today exploring the pines with Ted Gordon, and when he arrived this morning he gave me a copy of a 1942 article written by Henry Beck. The article was about a Miss Mary Wills who at the age of 83 was a Champion Berry-picker. Her father was William Shreve Wills who at one time was the keeper of the hotel at Mount for 8 years. Miss Wills reminises in the article quite a bit about various subjects, but one portion of the article Ted remembered and wanted to bring to my attention. Ted felt that the removal of stone at the location we visited occurred much earlier than I had thought. It appears he was correct.

From the article.

There was a stone quarry near the Mount Tavern. It was from there, Miss Wills revealed, that the stone was hauled to build the glass works at Hermann. "It didn't last very long," she said, but all the stone was "riz" back there. My father had two teams and did the hauling...

I have no proof this was the location, but being so close to Mount it may have been.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Pretty cool Guy. I owned a cabin in Medford Lakes for awhile with a big stone fireplace. But there's no way those stones came from the pines. :)

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
I managed to get up several hours before work this morning, I had a touch of insomnia, and revisit several spots along the Tulpe to check to see if any of the rare Gentians were emerging. It was difficult searching in the dawn with a flashlight and being careful not to step on any thing important. Several plants where found.

Quite confident this is a Pine Barrens Gentian emerging in a damp hollow along the Tulpehocken. I'm looking forward to Fall in the Barrens.

gentiansm.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice!

I just checked my photo's and in some previous years they were blooming this week. Keep looking and you may find one out now.

Guy

Gibby

Piney
Apr 4, 2011
Trenton
Early today, after checking another location Teegate gave me a tip on, I returned to the Tulpe. After a long slow search, I found another group of Gentians. These are almost ready to bloom. The dry weather might be effecting their rate of growth because the plants appear much smaller this year in the general vicinity.

Later this week, the flower will be open.
gentianclosesm.jpg

tulpgentsm.jpg