UFO?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Annie and I saw something quite strange in the pines today. It is the title picture in my new image gallery nested folder called "strange". Does anyone know what it is? Its in the center of the picture.

bob

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Black's Boulder

I finally talked to a person who had hunted in the area when he was a boy. The roads to get there are fine. Our lovely barrens suck up rain like a sea sponge.

It is difficult to explain the directions and hard to find the boulder due to topography. I will explain in an email Ben.

It does not appear to be a grave after all. The boulder is definitely from outside this area, maybe North Jersey or Pennsylvania. Seems like a boundary marker. It took some doing to get that boulder in where it it. They had to have used a horse to drag it. I spoke to Elizabeth Morgan, who is over 90 and a local historian. She said Black owned land in the area, and she feels the boulder had been moved at one time.

The boulder seems also to stick deep into the ground. I had to wet it with water to see the inscription good enough to take a picture. Here is how Beck eplains it in Jersey Genesis:

..."he led the way through laurel and cinnamon fern to where there was a stone, as large as a crouching man. Into it had been scratched a name and date: "T. G. Black-1858." Who was Black? Dolph said he didn't know that either. All he knew was that folks always called the little span over which we had come, "Black's Bridge". (page 180).