watermark.php

Buddy finds a chair and takes a break:

watermark.php

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice one Bob!

I have never known Buddy to take a break before :) He is getting old.

Guy

long-a-coming

Explorer
Mar 28, 2005
Berlin Twp
I saw one yeaterday too Bob. Not nearly as impressive though as your find. It was at the Philadelphia Zoo. They have some great snakes there including cobras, pythons, anacondas, and three types of rattlers.

I would love to see one of those in the wild. Timber Rattler that is.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I'll never forget the first time I saw one, it was in the middle of a trail somewhere near Carranza many years ago. I thought it was some other kind of snake, and tossed a twig towards it to scare it away. Much to my surprise it attacked the twig and started rattling. Sure got me moving in a hurry! :)

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
To help clear up myths about rattlesnakes before they get expanded. They are a very docile, non agressive animal. Sometimes they get nervous when you get near them and rattle, but for the most part they have a deep fear of people and get very stressed when approached or harrassed. They will never pursue a person or chase after you. With that said they deserve respect and are a incredibly interesting animal with a long history in the pines. Just be careful were you step when bushwacking deep in the pines. The only way to get bit by one of these fellas is by stepping on one. But you have to be intruding on them for that to happen, like I said they aren't an aggressive snake by any means....

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
rattlesnake caution

I have seen many rattlesnakes when I used to go backpacking in Virginia (have not seen 1 in NJ yet), in fact I would have stepped on one at the side of a trail if it hadn't started to rattle to let me know it's there. And even with that step only inches away, it did not strike. I backed off very slowly and went on my way (I guess I was lucky). They can't eat you, so they will only bother you if you bother them first. It's just tough spotting them as they do blend in very well.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
That is well said imkms.

In all my expirience with snakes they are one of the most relaxed in the field. Stepping on one is a big risk in spots of the pines though....quite honestly I'm suprised it doesn't happen more.

Furball1

Explorer
Dec 11, 2005
Florida
Beautiful snake. Back in the 60's we hiked up the AT to catfish pond up in the Del. Water Gap. We came upon a large rattler sunning on a large rock. We gave him a wide berth. He rattled some, but stayed put. I recall he was gray. He is so camoflouged I wonder why there aren't more incidents of people stepping on them.