Union Forge

NMuscella

Aug 18, 2023
Southampton NJ
Hello Pine Barrens community,

I was hoping to inquire about Union Forge. While doing research on Speedwell Furnace, it came to my attention that there was another Iron Forge near present-day Chatsworth Lake. Are there other pieces of the puzzle I have not fit in yet?

I'd appreciate any help, thank you
-Nick

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I don't hear much of that one, but I think it was on the south side of 532 SSE of the dam. I think Lakehurst had a Union Furnace.

1696974498208.png

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The lake's real name is Union Lake. The Blue Comet accident report was still calling it Union Lake when it was released. Chatsworth lake is a more recent popular name.

NMuscella:

Documentation for Union Works/Union Forge is thin at best. Charles Boyer's Early Forges and Furnaces in New Jersey contains but a single page:

Screenshot_20231010_184212.jpg

During research I conducted earlier this year, I concluded Boyer's work is less trustworthy than I once considered it. I was quite surprised and dismayed at my findings relative to Boyer, but I should not be too surprised. I has a similar experience while researching Maryann Forge and noted the discrepancy in my post on that topic.

William Watson's early nineteenth-century attempt to publish an accurate New Jersey map in 1812 included the Works:

Screenshot_20231010_182521.jpg

Watson's map was less than stellar, with an accuracy record of being up to 7 miles off from the actual location of some settlements and roadways.

The map Bob provided is either the Thomas Gordon state map or a reasonable facsimile. The 1849 County map depicts the millpond as devoid of industry at the dam, despite Boyer stating that a sawmill beginning operations there in 1843. I think Boyer confused the two mill ponds:

Screenshot_20231010_182835.jpg

Ten years later, the county map published in 1859 yields more information about Union Forge, labeling it as "Old," and the Union Tract associated with it:

Screenshot_20231010_183045.jpg

The last map of interest is misunderstood by the repository that holds it. The manuscript map was prepared when the legislature was moving to erect Coaxen Township out of Northampton Township. The lawmakers passed the Coaxen bill on 10 March 1845. Less than a month later, the same lawmakers voted to change the name to Southampton Township on 1 April 1845. An April Fool's law? Perhaps.

Screenshot_20231010_183244.jpg

Best regards,
Jerseyman

Reactions: M1 Abrams and Boyd

NMuscella

Aug 18, 2023
Southampton NJ
NMuscella:

Documentation for Union Works/Union Forge is thin at best. Charles Boyer's Early Forges and Furnaces in New Jersey contains but a single page:

View attachment 20895
During research I conducted earlier this year, I concluded Boyer's work is less trustworthy than I once considered it. I was quite surprised and dismayed at my findings relative to Boyer, but I should not be too surprised. I has a similar experience while researching Maryann Forge and noted the discrepancy in my post on that topic.

William Watson's early nineteenth-century attempt to publish an accurate New Jersey map in 1812 included the Works:

View attachment 20896
Watson's map was less than stellar, with an accuracy record of being up to 7 miles off from the actual location of some settlements and roadways.

The map Bob provided is either the Thomas Gordon state map or a reasonable facsimile. The 1849 County map depicts the millpond as devoid of industry at the dam, despite Boyer stating that a sawmill beginning operations there in 1843. I think Boyer confused the two mill ponds:

View attachment 20897

Ten years later, the county map published in 1859 yields more information about Union Forge, labeling it as "Old," and the Union Tract associated with it:

View attachment 20898
The last map of interest is misunderstood by the repository that holds it. The manuscript map was prepared when the legislature was moving to erect Coaxen Township out of Northampton Township. The lawmakers passed the Coaxen bill on 10 March 1845. Less than a month later, the same lawmakers voted to change the name to Southampton Township on 1 April 1845. An April Fool's law? Perhaps.

View attachment 20899

Best regards,
Jerseyman
Hello Jerseyman,

Thank you for sharing this! Originally I had began researching Speedwell Furnace today by going on-site and speaking with Stephen Lee III. I had intended to tie these two locations together as it appears that Union Forge was being supplied with Pig Iron from the Speedwell Furnace.