Upcoming Outage: Site Maintenance

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
If the folks that wrote the forum software came out with a good gallery program, I'd probably pay for it and switch to it. The problems are:

a) Most gallery software is absolutely horrible and full of security holes.
b) Most gallery software is not user-friendly.
c) The URLs to the images will change, which means that 5+ years of posts that have links to images in them will break.

The nice thing about the gallery, though, is that it allows a casual visitor to come along and browse through photos without having to dig through forum posts.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Agreed, I think that is the major advantage to having your own gallery. But all the drawbacks are valid as well.

Hey, on another topic, I've noticed quite a few problems recently with the site being unavailable. During a large chunk of the day today I was getting DNS lookup failures, and I've seen that before. I don't know if you're just making a lot of changes or you're having problems with your host. If it's the latter I can highly recommend Rochen, the company I use. I'm hugely impressed by their service and technical expertise, and have become quite a fan.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
One of the reasons I posted it was to see if anyone else had the problem. It's the only site I've seen this issue with, so I don't believe it's a general problem with my ISP. Next time it happens I'll shoot Ben an email and he can have a look.