Updated Forum Software Coming (Spring/Summer '14)

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Hello all -

Sorry I have been MIA for a while.

The company that makes the software that runs the forums here has released a major update. I'm looking to upgrade the site probably sometime before the summer. We're already a release or two out of date.

Since this is a major update to their software it's probably going to break a lot of things, chief of which is the code that controls how the site looks. So there's going to be changes to the look & feel of the website. I don't know how drastic they will be yet - hopefully not very, although I am looking to make the site easier to use and more secure.

I am also officially going to pull the plug on the old Gallery software. It's way, way out of date, probably full of security holes, and generally a piece of junk. If you have any photos up there that are not backed up on your computer, please spend some time downloading them. I am looking at doing this sometime around summer.

Not that this affects the site in any way but I have recently set up some automated processes that keep an eye on the webserver & security logs. It may be interesting to know that hackers, mostly from China, hammer this site trying to get in. I don't think it's anything specifically targeted to any of us, mostly automated attacks from computers infected with viruses and whatnot.

If folks have any questions, comments, or concerns feel free to reach out to me.

-ben

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Sounds good! I will make sure I have all of my photo's from the Gallery in my computer.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Just an update: I purchased the updated forum software today. I'm going to start working on the upgrade. It'll still be a while (maybe another month or three) before I put it live. I'd still suggest going through the gallery and saving any images you might have up there that you care about.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just an update: I purchased the updated forum software today. I'm going to start working on the upgrade. It'll still be a while (maybe another month or three) before I put it live. I'd still suggest going through the gallery and saving any images you might have up there that you care about.

I have all of the photo's but I still went in and retrieved my gallery photo's. So I am good.