Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
A forum with unread posts used to have this icon:
forum-unread.png

A forum with no new posts used to have this icon:
forum-read.png

So now the icon is gone, replaced with a call out bubble, and it's gone from green to red.

Thanks for the screenshot, I wasn't sure what you meant. :)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
A forum with unread posts used to have this icon:
forum-unread.png

A forum with no new posts used to have this icon:
forum-read.png

So now the icon is gone, replaced with a call out bubble, and it's gone from green to red.

Thanks for the screenshot, I wasn't sure what you meant. :)

BTW, how are pictures posted? I looked around, but being one of those forever lost, can't seem to find how, except to use the characters to bracket. The Happy Face to.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
There's two ways to do it. Both of these are unchanged from the old software.

Option One: Attach file(s) to your post.
  1. When you create a new thread or reply to a new thread there will be a button that says "Upload a File." In a reply it's immediately to the right of the red "Post Reply" button. When you're making a new thread the button will be immediately to the right of the red "Create Thread" button.
  2. A popup will come up. Click the "browse" button and navigate to where you have your image stored on your hard disk.
  3. You can add more attachments by clicking on the "Upload a File" button again.
  4. You then add the image to your post by clicking where you want the image in your post by clicking on the "Thumbnail" or "Full Image" buttons that show up when you have uploaded a file. Clicking on the thumbnail button will insert a small version of your image,. Clicking on "full image" will insert the full, large image into your post.

If you click on the thumbnail your picture comes up larger in a nice lightbox style gallery. If you insert a full image it will resize to fit the width of the post area, but clicking on it will expand it to the original size of the image, which can look bad if you upload a gigantic image. I'd HIGHLY suggest resizing your images to a maximum dimension (width OR height) of 1024 pixels before uploading.

Option Two: Use IMG tags to pull in an image hosted elsewhere.
  1. You can very easily add an image that is hosted elsewhere (Flickr, Imgur, Facebook, whatever) by finding the URL to the image and wrapping it in IMG tags, like this:

Code:
[img]http://whatever.com/my-beautiful-picture.jpg[/img]

You can also click on the icon that looks like the sun over a mountain (next to the smile face above where you're typing your message) and just pasting in the URL without the IMG tags. They're added in automatically.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There's two ways to do it. Both of these are unchanged from the old software.

Option One: Attach file(s) to your post.
  1. When you create a new thread or reply to a new thread there will be a button that says "Upload a File." In a reply it's immediately to the right of the red "Post Reply" button. When you're making a new thread the button will be immediately to the right of the red "Create Thread" button.
  2. A popup will come up. Click the "browse" button and navigate to where you have your image stored on your hard disk.
  3. You can add more attachments by clicking on the "Upload a File" button again.
  4. You then add the image to your post by clicking where you want the image in your post by clicking on the "Thumbnail" or "Full Image" buttons that show up when you have uploaded a file. Clicking on the thumbnail button will insert a small version of your image,. Clicking on "full image" will insert the full, large image into your post.

If you click on the thumbnail your picture comes up larger in a nice lightbox style gallery. If you insert a full image it will resize to fit the width of the post area, but clicking on it will expand it to the original size of the image, which can look bad if you upload a gigantic image. I'd HIGHLY suggest resizing your images to a maximum dimension (width OR height) of 1024 pixels before uploading.

Option Two: Use IMG tags to pull in an image hosted elsewhere.
  1. You can very easily add an image that is hosted elsewhere (Flickr, Imgur, Facebook, whatever) by finding the URL to the image and wrapping it in IMG tags, like this:

Code:
[img]http://whatever.com/my-beautiful-picture.jpg[/img]

You can also click on the icon that looks like the sun over a mountain (next to the smile face above where you're typing your message) and just pasting in the URL without the IMG tags. They're added in automatically.

Thanks. In a new post or a reply to a post; no sun over the mountain and no smilie face. On the old one there was a bar above where one typed with those types of things, I don't have that now. Will keep on looking around for my AHH HAAA moment.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Weird. I don't know why it wouldn't work in IE. I don't have a Windows machine to test from though.

IE11 has a few quirks. No problem though, that's why I also have Chrome.

Let me know if you want me to try something. Perhaps the forum software has some notes on IE11 use?

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I've switched the site over to using a SSL certificate. You should see the URL change from http:// to https://

Also your stored cookie shouldn't work so you probably had to log in again. Once you save the new cookie you should be set.

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Oh, that was the other thing. The forums work MUCH better on mobile devices now. :)

Edit: Also, I've uploaded a bunch of new header images. I got emails from two people submitting images - I'll get those up soon as well. Thanks!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I like the arrow at the bottom right of all of the pages that scrolls right back up to the top.

Reactions: Ben Ruset