Upper Oswego

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Canoed on the Oswego today (upstream of the lake). I didn't take many pictures, as it rained a good deal of the time. I'd do the trip again, hopefully in nicer weather.

A shot of the stream, when it started to clear:
PICT00191.JPG

I have a few flower ID questions:

Pitcher Plant, not quite in bloom?
PICT00221.JPG

There are 2 or three very similar flowers in my field guide, is this High Bush Blueberry?
PICT00271.JPG

Guy, I appreciate the heads up on this trip, it was a good day.
Greg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You are correct on the plant ID's Piker. But, give me an out on the blueberry. That genus is highly variable in the pines, so it could be NJ Blueberry too, or some type of hybrid.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
How far up can you go? I love that stretch because the wonderful cedars. We went up a good long distance before my friend dumped his canoe going under a branch. I look on Google Earth and see a dam at Sim Place - can you go that far?

We canoed upstream for about 5 hours. I'm not sure exactly where we were, but we did cross an old wood gate that formed a small pond. We stopped there to fish for about an hour and then turned around. I also broke the front seat on the canoe going under a tree that blocked the stream. 5 minutes later my brother Tom broke his seat. It was God's punishment for him laughing at me. When I Canoe with my brother, it's always an accident waiting to happen :). You are right about the cedar trees, they were outstanding.

Bobpbx, thanks for the reply on the flowers. I am trying to get the hang of identifying the flowers I see.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
It was a beautiful day even though the Rain pummled us to smitherens . Your right about the Cedars there were some huge ones out there . Thank GOD for my Engineering expertise other wise Piker would still be out there for breaking my Boat!!! We will certainly do it again when it is warmer and sunnier and with newer seating LOL!:rofl:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can make it to the canal, but you have to remember that is private property. The river is yours; however, you need to know where you are when you leave it.

Guy

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
We stopped about 100 yards past what seemed to be an old dam with part of the retaining wall still intact we were able to pull the canoe thru but it seemed to end , but now we know we could have went further. I would not want to try that with the water as high as it looked to be recently coming back out the water was fast enough where we had to back paddle when we entered the all the falls, all in all it was the most perfect day , nothing dampened our resolve ! NOTHING !!!! LOL!

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
That right, 5 hours is a long, long way. Now you have me wanting to do it next month. It opens up real nice like far up there. Did you make it this far?

watermark.php

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I know we made as far as an old bog of sorts , there was remnants of an old spill way and a retaining wall made of wood , we got past that but didn't think we could make it any further so we fished there for an hour or two then fished on the way back. Getting thru the obstacles was a lot more interesting coming back because of how fast the water moved . We weren't sure of our exact location, but the total trip time in and out was 8 hours

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
That right, 5 hours is a long, long way. Now you have me wanting to do it next month. It opens up real nice like far up there. Did you make it this far?

watermark.php

Bob,
You would have to zoom out a little for me to tell if we made it to where photo is, but I looked on google maps and I know we didn't get to Sim's place. Guy had given me some sites to find, but we didn't get far enough upstream to look for them. We didn't make good time. First,as we had never gone upstream before it took us a while to find the stream entrance from the lake. Then, we paddled slowly because of the stumps (a little cold to tip, so we were careful). Also, the seat repair fiasco took some time. Then we stopped to fish. I would like to do the same trip again sometime and try to get further upstream, it was really nice.
Greg

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Bob,
Oh, ok. I see where the picture is. No, we didn't get close to that spot. I think I see from google that if we had pushed through a little it opened up and we could have gone much further. But, it was getting late and we fished quite a while, had lunch and relaxed. Next time.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I gave him the coordinates on Allen's Bridge, so if he did not make it that far he was not even to the start of the canal at Sim Place.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Now you have me wanting to do it next month.

Bob,

We went 5 years ago on 5/30/04. It's time to go again! We found Arethusa, Deformed Stagger Bush, Orange Milkwart, a really large pine tree, and had a great time.

This is where we stopped.

IMG_3498.JPG

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob,

We went 5 years ago on 5/30/04. It's time to go again! We found Arethusa, Deformed Stagger Bush, Orange Milkwart, a really large pine tree, and had a great time.

This is where we stopped.

IMG_3498.JPG

Guy

Yes, these guys got me going. I am really excited to go all the way up to the main road. A real exploring trip, you dig?

It will have to be a full day, and we have to leave early. I'd like to get out this week or next and check out this spot right here to see if we can get a canoe in there. It looks very likely.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It will have to be a full day, and we have to leave early. I'd like to get out this week or next and check out this spot right here to see if we can get a canoe in there. It looks very likely.

I will be going by there this weekend I am sure, so I will check it out if you don't get there before me. I suspect we can drop in there.

Guy

subkron

Nov 5, 2008
Is the access right at the lake? Also, I have a 17' canoe so I was wondering how navigible it would be to on this part of the Oswego.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
I gave him the coordinates on Allen's Bridge, so if he did not make it that far he was not even to the start of the canal at Sim Place.

Guy

Guy,
That is correct, I checked on gmaps and we weren't even close, if I have the right spot where we stopped to fish (hard to tell). If you can put in at the coordinates Bob mentioned, that will save a lot of paddling. Crossing the open lake from the parking lot we were against a wind driven rain, I started to question our sanity! Hope you guys have a nicer day than us, but even with the rain it was an excellent trip.
Greg