USAtopomaps like app for Mac

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Guy or anyone else with a Mac -

Do you have a native program that will take tracks recorded on a GPS and somehow overlay them on a map like USAtopomaps used to do? Preferably a Mac native program?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
How about MacGPS Pro? I used it 5 or 6 years ago myself but have since moved on to Windows for my mapping needs. They sell maps, including USGS topo's, but I think you can also make them yourself. Looks like you can purchase the NJ topo's for $5, which seems reasonable. http://www.macgpspro.com/

Actually I was wondering about mac software myself. I just got a Garmin GLO bluetooth GPS receiver, which is a very cool little gadget: https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=109827

I am using it with a Windows 7 tablet but was thinking it might be fun to play with it on my MacBook Air. :)

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The only free one is TerraBrowser and it will not work without Rosetta. The program is beta and has some flaws but I use it all the time. Without that program I would be lost ...... or I would have to run Windows and use USAPhotoMaps.

Unlike USAPhotoMaps which require the arrow keys to navigate, Terrabrowser allows dragging which is far superior in my view.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I forgot that you can use Garmin Basecamp but the results are fair. And it really effected my new iMac something awful.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
If you want "real" USGS topo maps on Basecamp (scans of the paper 24k maps, like USA Photomaps or NJPB live maps), then you would need to subscribe to Birdseye topo for $30 or else make them yourself (probably a major pain for anybody except a geek like me :D ).