Various From Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
First, it appears they recently repaired the bridge here. I keep thinking I was going to go through it each time I crossed.

I passed the new house on Chew Road and my dash cam has a view. Once I get it off the camera I will post that in the proper thread.

I have a copy of an old map from 1880 of the Lower Bank and Turtle Creek Road area that I will be working on again this fall and winter. I took a few clips of it and made this up. You can compare the map with the 1995 aerials. Elias Wright was Wharton's surveyor.

IMG_4072a.jpg

The arrows point to the same locations. along River Road in Lower Bank and along the Cakes Spruto branch.

Lower Bank.jpg

And on our way home near the Hammonton Airport this morning, it rained harder than anything I have been in in a few years. I have video and will post soon.

Reactions: Boyd

oji

Piney
Jan 25, 2008
Browns Mills
I was working by Carranza Rd. today and around 10:00 am it was coming down hard. The homeowner checked his rain gauge when it stopped and said he measured 2 1/2 inches in there

Reactions: Teegate

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I believe it! I live in Forked River and left the cover off my empty garbage can in front of my garage. It had over 3 " in the bottom when I emptied it at 5:00 today

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
Guy,

That's the repaired Cedar Branch bridge of Old Forks Road, in extant by 1761. The white stone building in the background is by ~1800 a tavern owned by Shoemaker, although it is potentially older. There was another tavern (Cains) about 5 miles to the SW on this road where it crossed today's Atlantic/Camden County line. Any idea who John Cuthbart is, or the true age of the establishment?

Screen Shot 2020-08-29 at 9.58.09 PM.png

Clement 1845: Vol.1, p.58.
Best,
S-M

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Mark,

I did not know that. I just thought it was part of the farm. In any event, I stopped this morning and took a few photo's. I will see if I can find anything on Cuthbart.
IMG_5098a.jpg

Spung-Man

Explorer
Jan 5, 2009
Richland, NJ
loki.stockton.edu
That would be great, Guy! The spung name a little further east across Drivers Branch provides a window to the original landscape—Desolation Pond! Today's Hammonton Branch was once called Long Meadow Branch, attested by the "meadow land" on the Clement survey. I envision this to have been savannah wilds akin to Lochs-of-the-Swamp southeast of Makepeace Lake near Weymouth.

Cedar Branch heads in town at a spung called North Pond, next to Margaret Mead's family six-acre farm on Fairview Avenue. It—like Desolation—has long dried up.

There were taverns (gas stations) every five to ten miles throughout the Pine Barrens at one time or another before the railroad era; at least three in Hammonton—Cains at Mt. Hope, Shoemakers by Desolation Pond, and Mullens log cabin by the library at the head of Long Meadow Branch. It's surprising how many public houses are forgotten.

Charles Shoemaker had a sister tavern that was the Sailor Boy:

S-M

Reactions: Menantico

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
First, it appears they recently repaired the bridge here. I keep thinking I was going to go through it each time I crossed.

I passed the new house on Chew Road and my dash cam has a view. Once I get it off the camera I will post that in the proper thread.

I have a copy of an old map from 1880 of the Lower Bank and Turtle Creek Road area that I will be working on again this fall and winter. I took a few clips of it and made this up. You can compare the map with the 1995 aerials. Elias Wright was Wharton's surveyor.

View attachment 13951

The arrows point to the same locations. along River Road in Lower Bank and along the Cakes Spruto branch.

View attachment 13952

And on our way home near the Hammonton Airport this morning, it rained harder than anything I have been in in a few years. I have video and will post soon.
The green arrow!......

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines

View attachment 13951

View attachment 13952

that green arrow