Vehicle crashes into Wawa store

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
Oh how I miss Wawa...You guys don't know how lucky you are living down there. Up here in the north people think that seven eleven has good coffee-blech! When I lived in south Jersey a trip to Colliers Mills or Wharton wasn't complete without stopping at Wawa for some coffee or a hoagie.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
Was it last year? the year before? that an elderly guy drove through a farmers market - not around here. It made the national news. There was another similar story out around the same time. Both happened about the same way. Person hit the gas instead of brake and in a panic pressed down harder on the gas.

Gillian

Miikkaa

Feb 23, 2005
That's nuts!! I've stopped there plenty of times to gas up, not to mention WAWA is the only coffee I go out of my way to get.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
A buddy of mine who worked in a bagel store almost got killed when an elderly gentleman drove through the storefront. His car pushed the soda case, which my friend walked away from seconds before, through a wall. The man claimed his accelerator pedal "stuck". Here in adult community land, we seem get alot of that particular malfunction. Then there was the man I encountered on Rt 37 in Toms River. He was driving the wrong way down the highway, violently shaking his fist at all the other ***holes he thought were going the wrong way!

Retesting at a certain age seeems like an obvious solution to an obvious problem, but I doubt it will ever get addressed, as the seniors are a powerfull voting block and get very defensive when the topic is brought up.

Reminds me of the old line......" I want to die peacfully in my sleep like my father did, not screaming in terror like his passengers"

JerseyJim

Explorer
Aug 17, 2003
Delaware County Pa.
Florida has a program to test their elderly drivers, NJ should but won't because of the strong voting power the Seniors have. As an EMT I have been to accident scenes and had "Martha" tell me that the car went crazy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I drove by today and there was plywood still covering one window.

Guy