Verizon closing down its e-mail service

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Just happened to look in my spam folder today and found a notice from Verizon that my e-mail address will be discontinued later this month. No big deal, I only use it for one thing but that happens to be important so I need to make a change.

https://www.verizon.com/support/residential/email/migrations.htm

We have decided to close down our email business. We will let you know when it's time to choose how to handle your email account going forward via email. In addition, you'll see a message from us when you log into your email from webmail.verizon.com indicating “Email service notice”. Click on “Keep verizon.net email address” or “Use any other email provider” to complete the setup.

Why is Verizon leaving the email business?

Over the years we’ve realized that there are more capable email platforms out there. As a result, we’ve made a decision to get out of the email business, which will allow us to focus our energies in providing you with the best in Internet and TV experiences.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You can retain your same email address through AOL.

I have been following this. I am concerned that Comcast will decide to do the same thing. Verizon owns AOL so they have a place to go, Comcast may not. Comcast eliminated my free web storage so email may be next.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Yeah, Verizon also got rid of their free webspace, we discussed this here a couple years ago. I saw the stuff about switching to AOL, but I probably won't bother. I have a Google account that I don't use, so it would be easy to switch to them. I only use the Verizon e-mail for one specific purpose and gmail could do the same thing.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I went through the web form on Verizon's site and indicated I was switching to another provider. Still, I get URGENT messages from them every day that their service is going down and I need to indicate my choice. :rolleyes:

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I switched to gmail about 10 years ago solely to have a provider-agnostic place for my email. Somewhere out there I bet the data on my old ben.ruset@verizon.net email account is out there. It'd be a pretty interesting look back at my early 20s and the beginnings of this site.
I heard today that Gmail will no longer be scanning E-mails in an effort to assist with ad placement, they will be going to some type of algorithm driven system.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
An old thread, however I converted all my Verizon accounts, without issues, to the AOL provider.

I didn't want to lose my @verizon.net addresses for the multiple emails I have. The conversation went well.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes, Rob from work converted his parents mail without a hitch from Verizon to AOL keeping the Verizon name.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Verizon just had 14 million of there customer records left unsecured by one of their contractors. They say nothing important was exposed :rolleyes:

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
May be off topic. I've been an AOL user since I got online. I've gotten used to and like the AOL home page layout. I've tried Yahoo and MSN and don't like the layout, but again it's what your used to. Now I get notice that all AOL accounts MUST convert to Desktop Gold for $4.99 a month, no more free accounts. Well today I switched, you do have 30 days free. I don't like it. Yes it appears similar to the old, but now the mail window doesn't fit without resizing, the print is really large and a crazy thing, the back space key doesn't work on forums. This is an important key function. A couple hours ago I reloaded Desktop 9.8.2. All back to "normal" including the back space key.

Now I have to seriously consider a new host, Yahoo, MSN, Gmail, etc. and move all my AOL info over before it's lost. So Verizon owns AOL and Direct TV. I hear nothing but complaints from Direct TV subscribers, now they're looking at Dish TV. I don't like the "new" AOL and I'm reading where others have complaints. Way to go Verizon!!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My wife uses AOL and I just told her what you wrote. She knew nothing about it and is checking on it.

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
May be off topic. I've been an AOL user since I got online. I've gotten used to and like the AOL home page layout. I've tried Yahoo and MSN and don't like the layout, but again it's what your used to. Now I get notice that all AOL accounts MUST convert to Desktop Gold for $4.99 a month, no more free accounts...

Just to clarify: AOL will still have free email accounts, with access via web or smartphone. No change and no charge for people accessing their AOL email that way. What changed - and some think Verizon influenced this - is that the "AOL Desktop" software - a program you can install on your PC that lets you access AOL Mail (and more?) is going to stop working and is being replaced with "AOL Desktop Gold" which costs $5/month. At least that's what I understand - I'm not an AOL user. Well, I guess I am now, with Verizon moving us over, but you know what I mean.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
Also been AOL forever, since the dial up days, and just kept using it.
I was surprised way back that they let users (me) drop the pay service and keep my email addy free.
Didn't hear anything and hope the free email continues

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Just to clarify: AOL will still have free email accounts, with access via web or smartphone. No change and no charge for people accessing their AOL email that way. What changed - and some think Verizon influenced this - is that the "AOL Desktop" software - a program you can install on your PC that lets you access AOL Mail (and more?) is going to stop working and is being replaced with "AOL Desktop Gold" which costs $5/month. At least that's what I understand - I'm not an AOL user. Well, I guess I am now, with Verizon moving us over, but you know what I mean.

This applies to me. Yes I use a PC and Desktop. I have Comcast triple play, phone, internet, TV. I have my "favorites" and other saved info on AOL just in case my computer takes a crap which it has in the past. It would be inconvenient to lose the info but not devastating. If I understand you correctly, I will still have the free AOL email but lose the AOL home page, toolbar, favorites and other stored info on my current Desktop 9.8.2? I'm on my free 30 day trial of Desktop Gold so all info has been transferred over.
While nobody like to pay for something that has been "free" I can live with it. I see the day when nothing will be free including the other providers. My biggest gripe is the back space key not functioning on the forums, it works in the AOL email though. Maybe it's just me and something I need to do or it's a flaw in the new software they are not aware of? I guess Yahoo is out if owned by Verizon.

Email I recieved:

I’m writing to tell you about some upcoming changes to your AOL Desktop software.

Over the years, AOL has provided an unparalleled online experience—mail, instant messaging, browsing, content and more—at no cost to you. Our team has worked to provide you with advanced technology that is fun and easy to use.
ADG0317title_v1w1.gif

Today, marks the release of our newest AOL Desktop software—AOL Desktop Gold. With enhanced security features and automatic updates, this version is better, more secure, and has the same look and functionality you know and love. Unlike past versions, it will require a small monthly fee.
Additionally, to maintain a high level of security, all older versions of AOL Desktop software will be discontinued in 30 days. Access to your current version will be discontinued at that time.

We’ve made the transition to AOL Desktop Gold easy—all your usernames, passwords, toolbar icons and mail will be transferred along with your favorites and contacts. Plus, we’d like to offer you a 30-day free trial* to enjoy AOL Desktop Gold.

Get started with AOL Desktop Gold now. We know you’re going to love it.

If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to give our team a call at 1-888-265-6387.

Thank you for being a valued member.

Last edited: