Verizon FIOS Outage

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
No internet here since around noon, checking my account on Verizon's website confirms the outage and was showing an estimated repair time of 8:00 AM tomorrow (Friday). Actually had a very productive day writing code and processing parcel data without the usual online distractions. :D Using my phone as a hotspot now for a quick check at the end of the day.

Anybody else experiencing this? I think it's affecting most of the Mays Landing area, saw a post complaining on Verizon's facebook page. Out and about around 4:00 PM, there was a fleet of Verizon trucks and a couple police cars on Harding Highway around here, so I assume that has something to do with it? There were also a lot of flashing lights in the development just South of there, only caught a glimpse but it looked like a combination of ambulances and police. Not sure if that was part of the same thing.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
No issues with FiOS today, but I'm a good ways from you. Must be a more localized problem. I have had very, very few issues with their service since it became available here in, gosh, maybe 2010 or so?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Back online this morning. :dance:Yeah, it has really been rock solid for me too. This is the first extended outage we have had since they rolled it out here in 2017.
I’ve had fios pretty much since they started and have never had a problem. My wife switched to comcast when we moved in 2007 and we had nothing but problems and went back after a few months.

Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
But no matter how great the technology is, all it takes is one drunk running into a phone pole or a random falling tree limb to take service out for a whole neighborhood. That part is still 19th century technology, the fiber was strung on the existing phone poles around here. But it goes underground from the pole to my house - 800 feet of buried fiber! So I guess it all comes down to how well they monitor and maintain their infrastructure.

Talked to the Verizon technician during installation, this area was a real challenge for them. Verizon's equipment was stretched really thin, they had a whole army of people but he said it was almost impossible to get a bucket truck. They ended up doing much of the work on ladders.

He also said it was interesting visiting the homes, most were still using dialup internet in 2017 and there were a surprising number with no internet at all. I got a HugesNet dish when I moved here in 2006, speed was ok but the latency drove me crazy. Around a year later, Verizon offered DSL so I switched to that and it was the best I could do (about 0.6mbit/sec) until FIOS. The Verizon guy said I was a lucky to have gotten DSL when I did, turns out there were only 100 ports available and they were all filled long ago.

I had Comcast in Medford and they were fine. I actually got an e-mail from Verizon saying I could order FIOS for my home on Atsion Rd just before I sold it and moved to Estell Manor. Took me 11 years to finally catch up! :D

Last edited:
Reactions: smoke_jumper