Visiting the property corners of the Oswego Gun Club

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This morning I parked my car on Calico Warren Grove Road near Oswego Road and walked all the way up Shamong Road above Nash's Cabin. I was specifically doing this to visit as many of the former Oswego Gun Club property corners as I could as well as visit a few Federal Corners along the way. It was a wonderful morning in that area and I never saw or heard anyone. I did see the helicopters which apparently were searching for the downed plane nearby. I will be going there more often to explore.

My tracks which are a little over 5 miles. I started at the yellow arrow.

track.jpg

As expected it is bone dry there. This stream usually floods across the road.

IMG_0673.JPG

One of the two Oswego monuments out of the ground.

IMG_0681.JPG

Usually flooded also.

IMG_0696.JPG

And along the way I revisited the Oswego Gun Club ruins AKA Mick's Place.

IMG_0697.JPG

One of the Federal property corners on the easter side of the property once owned by Nash.

IMG_0705.JPG

This cut through the woods on Federal and state land actually has some history behind it. I will let Lost Town Hunter tell all of us about that sometime at a future date.

IMG_0716.JPG

Another military corner on the former Nash's cabin property line.

IMG_0722.JPG

Very nice roads to walk in that area. So peaceful.

IMG_0725.JPG

The Oswego Gun Club property went right though this pond. It usually has water but not now.

IMG_0726.JPG

The only stone on the Oswego Gun Club property line. I looked for this 10 years ago and could not find it.

IMG_0732.JPG

Have you ever looked at an aerial and wondered what the woods look like there? Here is one you may want to stay out of. I went through it.

oak.jpg

And this is what it looks like. If you look at the tracks above you can see how far I had to go into it. I went in trying to stay off of Federal land but I clipped a few feet of it at the very end.

IMG_0733.JPG

And again at the ruins at Calico where I was last week.

IMG_0738.JPG

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes. Here you are. Notice the trees in the ruins have grown quite a bit.

IMG_6414.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice!

While at the pond at Calico do you remember the large tree stand? The first photo is Jeff climbing it.

Jeff in Deer Stand.JPG

The View

View from Stand.JPG

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Great report Guy, wish I could have gone too. Nice photos Ben.

Guy, regarding that area that was real tough going. I was in the exact same type over by Davenport Branch earlier this spring. It was very, very tightly packed together scrub oak, as is yours. It took me 20 minutes to go 100 yards.

112016.JPG

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
That big tree stand is one of the last members of the Oswego gun club. He still hunted out of it. I stopped and talked to him a few times. I call that scrub oaks mess the dead zone. Been through it a few times and every time swear I won't do it again. Now that the bombing range is closed to hunting i probally wont.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I call that scrub oaks mess the dead zone. Been through it a few times and every time swear I won't do it again. Now that the bombing range is closed to hunting i probally wont.

The spot is only partially federal so you can still cross it.

The top section is federal. You can see where I just clipped it.
line2.jpg

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Guy at my last check with the tax office all of that is federal property. Only thing east of that road that is not federal land is block 102 lot 7. That was all changed quite a few years ago and lines were redrawn.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If that is true tell me how the owners of 102/7 get there?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Someone I know went to the Bass River office and asked about one lots in the town and they could not tell him who owned it. Imagine that. And to this day he does not know who owns it. What does that say about them?

Reactions: bobpbx

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Check out the easement the bombing range slapped on the Oswego Gun Club property.

1e.jpg

3e.jpg

2e.jpg

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
I had talked to the county and not bass river. I tried bass river first and left there totally lost. A year later I gave the county a call. The lady there was very nice and told me who owned each lot number as i read them. She explained to me when everything was recorded. They moved those gates out to the shamong road and Allen road. I have a tooo that shows that being state woods. Well it isn't anymore except that one lot number. If you do find out how the owners of stated block can get to it let me know cause it's public land.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Maybe. I doubt they just up and offered it to them though.