Volunteering for the USGS

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I just mailed out the forms to assist federal employees working for the USGS making Quad Maps. I had to choose one Quad (I chose Atsion, Brookville, Chatsworth, Oswego Lake, Woodmansie, Jenkins, and Indian Mills :) ) and they will send me predetermined places to go and check GPS coordinates at. I send them back the info and they correct the maps so that the next releases are more accurate. This is my opportunity to correct many of the mistakes that are on the quad maps we use everyday in the pines and get so frustrated at.

I am not sure if I can send them info without them asking, but I will soon find out. By next week I should have my assignment. If a quad is taken I get my next choice, but I purposely did not make a first, second, or third choice. I just wrote them all down. They even gave me a little test where I had to put the GPS coordinates of the SE corner of the Quad on the paperwork.

I will be sent the quad map and aerial maps for free, so it should be interesting to see what the aerial maps are like. Maybe it will be as big as the quad, and maybe it will be more recent photo's than available on Terraserver. We shall see.

So when I get my assignment I will tell you how things go. It should be an interesting fall and winter.

Guy

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
TeeGate said:
All,

I just mailed out the forms to assist federal employees working for the USGS making Quad Maps. I had to choose one Quad (I chose Atsion, Brookville, Chatsworth, Oswego Lake, Woodmansie, Jenkins, and Indian Mills :) ) and they will send me predetermined places to go and check GPS coordinates at. I send them back the info and they correct the maps so that the next releases are more accurate. This is my opportunity to correct many of the mistakes that are on the quad maps we use everyday in the pines and get so frustrated at.

I am not sure if I can send them info without them asking, but I will soon find out. By next week I should have my assignment. If a quad is taken I get my next choice, but I purposely did not make a first, second, or third choice. I just wrote them all down. They even gave me a little test where I had to put the GPS coordinates of the SE corner of the Quad on the paperwork.

I will be sent the quad map and aerial maps for free, so it should be interesting to see what the aerial maps are like. Maybe it will be as big as the quad, and maybe it will be more recent photo's than available on Terraserver. We shall see.

So when I get my assignment I will tell you how things go. It should be an interesting fall and winter.

Guy

Maybe I will do this for the quads local to me. Where do you sign up?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BEHR655 said:
If you need any help just let me know.

Steve

You will be in the first group who I will ask. And even if I do not need help you can join in with me if it seems like it will be interesting enough. Hopefully it will be.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I have been officially accepted, and have received my temporary identification tag. I was awarded the Chatsworth Quad, and will be receiving my assignment in a few weeks.

What is interesting for you map lovers is I was supplied with a chart that shows every symbol used on topo maps and what they mean. If I get a minute I will scan it up if anyone is interested.

Just a quick look and I see that Pioneer Smelting needs to be removed.

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
TeeGate said:
What is interesting for you map lovers is I was supplied with a chart that shows every symbol used on topo maps and what they mean. If I get a minute I will scan it up if anyone is interested.
Guy

I'm interested Guy..................

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
BobM said:
I'm interested Guy..................

I have to scan it in three parts, so I will do it over the weekend. The wife is sleeping or I would do it now. Then again............. :)

Guy

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I'd like to see that. I remember some from scouts but that was a long time ago. Most of the Topo's I used were for parts of the poconos & a group of lakes in ontario...Canadian topo's were well done too.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
manumuskin said:
Guy,
I updated the dividing creek quad for earth science corps for two years till i finished it.Is this what your doing,updating the chatsworth quad?
Al

Yes, but they are now mostly interested in the GPS coordinates of Post Offices, Schools, City Hall, etc. I have to go to all of the places they want me to, get a reading and tell them which corner of the building it was taken on. The Chatsworth quad will be easy, and then I will move on.

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Hope no one takes you as a terrorist.I was approached by a guy who thought I was casing out the neighbors house for a robbery when I was annotating laurel lake.soon as I explained my position he was very interested but at first it looked as if he wanted to scrap.turns out he was a corrections officer so he just had a law enforcement mentality.
Al

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
manumuskin said:
Hope no one takes you as a terrorist.I was approached by a guy who thought I was casing out the neighbors house for a robbery when I was annotating laurel lake.soon as I explained my position he was very interested but at first it looked as if he wanted to scrap.turns out he was a corrections officer so he just had a law enforcement mentality.
Al

I have an official looking badge so that should help. It says the Department of Interior on it, and USGS, along with my name.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

I will have to get confirmation on this, but I am assuming that the USGS does not want the little black dot(s) that represent a dwelling on the Chatsworth quad if there in actuality is not a dwelling present. So if I mention lets say for example that Friendship no longer has dwellings there, these dots will be removed.

One member I talked to seems to think that they should stay on the maps even if the dwellings are not there.

So what is your opinion? Should they stay on the map for "old time" sake, or be removed to accurately reflect the fact that there is no dwelling present?

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I think some of the topo maps indicate "ruins" in various spots. Would that be more appropriate? Otherwise I vote to remove any structures which no longer exist.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You read my mind. BobM has a map that we used near Whiting that said "ruins" which seems appropriate.

Guy

wis bang

Explorer
Jun 24, 2004
East Windsor
I think that it should depend on the significance of the spot. If the place has a 'history' it should be preserved w/ the designation 'ruins' but that should not be done for insignificant cellar holes. You'll need to exercise some judgement. Any place designated on a topo will become a destination for future persons exploring the past of the area. Once marked on the map it could be there for a long time.