warm weather

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
took my son and father for a walk out by Hamptons furnace sunday. Hard to believe that it is January. I caught a 3 foot black snake, my son is six and it really impressed him. I have never seen a snake in january.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Probably a black racer, they are normally the first ones out if the weather warms up. Seeing one in January is def. a odd site, but it was 75 degrees so they don't know any better.

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Took off work this morn' to spend some preschool time with my littln'.
Snow flurries in Medford/Shamong off Oakshade road around 11:30 A.M.
and briefly BUT heavily on Chew road in Waterford on my way home but none in between. Wierd yes... but very cool!

G.

Oct 25, 2006
hopefully we can get some winter this year,a warming trend is on the way again,but there is a massive cold area waiting to invade us from canada,i cannot imagine the amount of deer flies,ticks,chiggers in the pines,and the gnats,greenheads,where i boat at on great bay boulevard in little egg harbor!!!!!!!!we need a winter!!!!!!

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
hopefully we can get some winter this year,a warming trend is on the way again,but there is a massive cold area waiting to invade us from canada,i cannot imagine the amount of deer flies,ticks,chiggers in the pines,and the gnats,greenheads,where i boat at on great bay boulevard in little egg harbor!!!!!!!!we need a winter!!!!!!

Amen to that brother !

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Not sure if anyone on here are skiers but I have never seen in 20 years of skiing what is happening this year. Most of the pocono resorts haven't even been able to make man made snow. I saw a shot of camelback the other day and the trails were green. I have never seen this in january in 20 years of skiing, I feel bad for the ski resorts, I want some snow so i can ski!

Oct 25, 2006
:) hi dragoncjo,jimbo,being a former skier,my friend who has a house across the street from me,also has a house in palmerton,pa.,and she told that blue mountain ski area is making snow,and will be reopening tomorrow,just type in blue mountain ski area, and it will take you to the site.(info,maps,directions)highest vertical drop in the pokes.i never got past intermediate.

lgench

Explorer
Jan 19, 2005
Bristol, PA
After renting houses in the Albrightsville, PA area in the winter for many years for skiing, this past Fall she bought a house there. Alas, no snow. Hopefully soon.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Well last night was a cold one and it's going to be in the 40's today, but the NWS is forecasting 53 degrees for Friday and 57 on Saturday...

Oct 25, 2006
:) if the wife decides to change her mind about going to the poconos on saturday,i think it's time for some pine barrens exploring.where would i'd rather be?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Thanks Jimbo, in high school I use to go up to blue at least evey other weekend. Then I discovered vermont which made going back to the blue mountain very difficult. Its hard on your patience to go down a run that takes 2 minutes and then wait in a lift line for 1/2 hour. Thanks though.

Oct 25, 2006
:D hi dragoncjo,jimbo,in the late 80's i went on bus trips to killington,mt.snow,also to mt.tom in massachusetts,nothing like vermont though,the one trip to mt.snow,before we got off the bus,a ski patrol person came on the bus and said not to ski without a partner,wind chill -50.my mustache was icebound half way up,spent the rest of the day at the summit drinking bloody mary's.i always wanted to go to hunter in n.y.,never did,and also montage around scranton.my first time at killington when i saw the nets hanging off the side of the mountain,i immediately went back to beginner from intermediate,the 10 mile ski trail was ice half way down.the poconos are hills compared to vermont.i can imagine what it is to ski out west,pure powder though.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
*sigh* I miss skiing. I used to go to Blue Mt. every weekend that I didn't go to Killington. Until I messed up my knee a couple of years ago.
I love that big open run at Blue with the high speed quad chair at the bottom. I would try and go all the way to the bottom without braking at all, skis pointed straight down the hill. There's that little fall in the middle that I'd go sailing over if I had the right speed. The ski patrol was not amused.

I really do need to get my knee fixed.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Skiing in the poconos will def be hard on your knee with all the ice and hard pack they have. The first time I went to vermont I realized how much easier it is to ski on real snow...effortless really. It is alot easier skiing on snow versus tiny icey marbles. My brother in law always tells me a story of his college buddy who heli-skied in montana i believe. He brought him to the poconos and the guy couldn't ski at all on the fake snow, found it impossible, hah. I assume the run you are talking about is paradise or challenge, nice runs for the poconos...but your down them in a blink of an eye. Jimbo, three years ago at killington I expierienced the coldest temps ever(for me). It was -30 at the peak. I had ever square inch of my face covered, except the bridge of my nose. I went down one run and my buddy told me my nose was turning purple. That was all for me, by nose scabbed up from windburn, maybe frostbite...not a pleasent expierience. I can't imagine what it is like for the guys who climb Everest.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Yep, that was Challenge. It's short but I LOVE it. On a non-crowded day, I can do that run over and over and over until I collapse from exhaustion. :dance:

The 30 below conditions, I remember having a day like at Mt Snow a few years ago that made me go out and spend a lot of $$ on a really good windproof ski parka. We got on a lift and it stopped halfway up. There was nothing we could do but sit there. For 20 minutes. I seriously thought I was going to die. I have never been that cold before, and was grateful that I stuffed an extra hat and ear warmer in my coat. By the time we got to the top, we could barely straighten our legs to get off the lift. That was it for me for the day!

I still miss skiing though. *sigh* Have I mentioned that?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Magnificent Eve'

Took a great walkabout tonight. Just about 3 miles round. Left at 9:15.
Took my dog along. She's good but I still walk her on a lead to be on the side of caution. Neither of us uttered a word the entire time and the quiet was a pleasure. The temp is unreal, I was basically overdressed. There is sufficient light to not have needed a flashlight. Twice encountered deer. first one huffed at us abit. Thank goodness my dog is used to them. She takes notice of them but does not get uppity. Next set was three crashing right in front of us on a trail. Cool. There is no wind to speak of, very still and warm.
A very nice walk.
G.

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Jimbo, in high school I use to go up to blue at least evey other weekend. Then I discovered vermont which made going back to the blue mountain very difficult. Its hard on your patience to go down a run that takes 2 minutes and then wait in a lift line for 1/2 hour. Thanks though.

you're welcome,have a nice trip,when you do go,hopefully it will be powder,instead of the typical pocono ice pellets!!!!!!! let it snow,let it snow!!!