Warren Grove Fire Area Revisited

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This morning Bob, Jessica and myself headed out to the Warren Grove area to look for a few plants. While looking over the route we were going to take, I noticed this last night on the aerials. We just had to check it out. It was quite a bit harder to get to there then we thought on the route we took.

unknown1.jpg

When arriving we were greeted with this view.

IMG_1969a.jpg

IMG_1980a.jpg

On top.

IMG_1975a.jpg

Bob and I climbed up, and I took this of him and Jessica while I was up there.

IMG_1976a.jpg

Bob measuring the smoke grass.

IMG_1981a.jpg

We finally arrived at the large spung that we had visited before, exactly 11 years ago today on our Warren Grove Fire Hike back on 9/29/2007.

IMG_1987a.jpg

With the fire being 11 years ago it is interesting to see how the fire destroyed the cedar trees. But Bob was quick to point out that the seeds had been building up over the years and the fire opened up the sunlight allowing new cedars to grow again. They are as dense as any cedar forest you will ever come upon. This photo shows Bob standing in front of the new trees with the burned ones also in view. I have taken the GPS cords of where I am standing and will return in the years to come to see how they have grown.

IMG_1989a.jpg

On the edge of the large spung, nicely hidden in the trees, we stumbled on this nicely built deer stand.

IMG_2188a.jpg

Besides the many chigger ticks that Jessica and I are still getting off of us, it was a enjoyable morning.

See us 11 years ago today.

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/a-pbx-hike-the-warren-grove-wildfire-6-months-later.3959/

Guy

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We stumbled onto what appears to be a very very old vehicle of some sort. It has a bumper and a gas tank and the leaf springs are still there. But there apparently are no wheels and drive train. It is very thin.

IMG_2201a.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You are the MAN on the stand Guy! Reminds me of an army signal corps tower for signaling with flags.

Those cedars were thicker than fleas on a dogs back. But really, I wonder why they weren't taller after 11 years.

upload_2018-9-29_22-3-30.png

Reactions: Teegate

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
PS; this is an odd year. Not including this one, I was at the same exact place, at the same date, at least 3 other times this year, and it was not planned that way.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
The effort put in some of those deer stands!! Is that a chair in the first stand? Complete with carpet.
The size of these things, for one person?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There was a tent there also which it appears they may have had set up around the chair or at least on top of the stand. Portions of it were still up there but most of it was under the stand.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
While standing there looking at the cedars in the photo I have re-posted below, Bob was adamant that the massive amount of cedar growth was because of seed banks opened up to the sun because of the fire, while I was thinking differently. Today, I was reading my copy of the National Woodlands magazine and saw this paragraph which pretty much proves Bob correct.

Just for the record, the magazine allows reproduction as long as their address is included.

National Woodlands Owners Association, 374 Maple Ave.E.,Suite 310, Vienna, Va 22180-4751

National_Woodlands.jpg

IMG_1989a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it was. I know I have visited it before but we did not visit it on the fire hike.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Me and Bill found that thing maybe 15 years ago and wondered what it was.I gave Bob the coords to it but I don't think He has seen it yet.You went looking for it from my coords or just wandered into it?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Just wandered into it. But as we were there I kept telling Bob I had been there before but I can't find any photo of it so I guess I was wrong.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There no trail to it if my memory serves me right.we crossed the meadow from east to west heading back toward the road and just wandered into it.Amazing coincidence we'd wander into the same thing like that off trail then again not really because bob is a plant man and likes his spungs so he was bound to find it eventually.I remember it was along the west side tucked into a small bay facing the larger opening.That had to be in the 90's we found it.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Not sure. My grandmother had a Corvair and I don't remember that kind of bumper. In any event, I am unsure what it was.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Corvair's did not have leaf springs. Coils all around with an independent rear that, depending on the year, had this bad habit of tucking a wheel on hard cornering. My wife owned one, a hoot to drive quickly :D

Reactions: Sue Gremlin

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My grandmother owned one for years and would drive it up to our house from Repaupo to Marlton every Saturday. Then my mom would take over and she drove us around shopping. My grandmother lost her eyesight in one eye when my mom was born. Sometime in the 70s I believe my moms neighbor who worked at Robinson Chevrolet in Moorestown by the mall purchased it from my grandmother and starting taking it to car shows. It was garage kept and in perfect shape after all the years she owned it and he was a good mechanic. Anyway, he eventually sold it to Robinson's and they put it in the showroom for quite a while. As as far as I know my mom does not have a photo of it.