Washington Tpke 745 acre thinning bid

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Here comes the sun! New plant growth locations in all the wet spots. It will be interesting.

I never worry about this. It bounces back real quick if you let it go. Lack of funding usually drives it to that end.

Reactions: Teegate and Gibby

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I agree Bob. I don't see a problem with it. The JCRR was that way years ago and look at it now.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Blazer Jeff,

Could you size the photos a little smaller? Phone users may have issues viewing them.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
Sign at Carranza and Tuckerton (boot camp).
PC160019.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would say they plan on working on it off and on ??????????

ninemileskid

Explorer
Sep 14, 2014
I'm sure Jason Howell (or whatever name he is using) would have a better idea what their stand is on this but I think they would be in favor of it. Due to the lack of fire it is probably the only way to open up the canopy and create more diversity at the ground level of the forest.

I'm certainly no expert but does it also allow for invasive species to get a foot hold?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I'm certainly no expert but does it also allow for invasive species to get a foot hold?

You have a good point, but I don't think it will be horrendous. You might see more Japanese bush clover, but normally, when this is done, bracken fern, stagger-bush, and huckleberry are the first to come back. These pineland plants very aggressively cover the ground, keeping competition out. Also, the soil does not really change, so if an invasive loved acidic, sandy soil, it would be here already.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
You have a good point, but I don't think it will be horrendous. You might see more Japanese bush clover, but normally, when this is done, bracken fern, stagger-bush, and huckleberry are the first to come back. These pineland plants very aggressively cover the ground, keeping competition out. Also, the soil does not really change, so if an invasive loved acidic, sandy soil, it would be here already.

You are 110% right Mr. Moyer.
The mere location of the cutting on Washington Pike in the central heart of the pines, precludes windblown and bird dropped seeds from ever finding their way there.

Take a ride to this clearcut in Dutchtown sometime if you want to see recovery. I used to drive my kids through there in the mid-90's when it was a stump field with only select seed trees left in place. The seed trees can be easily seen in the attached 1995 Historic Aerial.
The limits of the cut are invisible today and I don't think you'll find any invasive flora.
dutchtownNoname.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx and Teegate
Feb 1, 2016
Camden County, NJ
Amazing there is no t&e species or plants along the 5 miles of this project.
That's a great question. I hope steps have been taken to review the area prior to clearing. Most T&E species and plant biodiverse sites as a whole are concentrated around wetland areas (with of course some exceptions). Any endeavor like this would have to be approved by NJPC and the respective state agencies, I would be interested to know the result of any T&E studies performed.