Webbs Mill boardwalk

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Does anyone know if there are any special reg's for Webb's, i.e. no entering the patch, boardwalk access only? The place is beginning to look like the scar. Pix to follow.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
A number of years ago Ro & I were there and a group were tromping all over the area and on many of the fragile little gems. Upset, we told them what they were doing was terrible; their leader said he was an instructor and for us to get lost. That's when we realized there are no signs that say absolutely stay on the boardwalk.
Common sense is not common.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I contacted F&W, no reg's regarding off boardwalk excursions; only no damaging or cutting vegetation. There were a couple of holes where something was taken, F&W said no permits have been issued, and an out of state guy out in the middle taking pictures who didn't care for what I told him. F&W said they would forward my info to law enforcement.

156154503.jpg

156154506.jpg

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand the boardwalk railings certainly imply you should stay on the walkway, even if the officially regulations do not state as much. I'm always bothered by those thinking rules are for others. On the other hand, the feature that makes this site worth visiting is a collection of disturbance oriented species. Limited disturbance (with extreme emphasis on limited) can encourage the interesting and rare species, rather than discourage them. We normally associate the kind of disturbance with fire, logging, etc, but trampling followed by a period where the vegetation is allowed to recover, can create idea conditions as well. Unmanaged disturbance, however, is certainly going to be hit or miss in it's value.

The boardwalk itself may even be a problem. I've been visiting the site for over thirty years now and have noted a gradual succession of woody species, which could eventually threaten the more "valued" plants. Some time ago our own Lost Town Hunter told me he believed the walkway railings, which didn't exist on the original boardwalk, might be discouraging deer browse on the woody species, allowing them to gradually claim the site. It would be nice it the site received some genuine management, but I'm not too optimistic about that, giving the current economy within the state. There are certainly more productive bogs in remote areas for botonizing, but this site's accessibility makes it an idea teaching tool.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Limited disturbance (with extreme emphasis on limited) can encourage the interesting and rare species, rather than discourage them. We normally associate the kind of disturbance with fire, logging, etc, but trampling followed by a period where the vegetation is allowed to recover, can create idea conditions as well. Unmanaged disturbance, however, is certainly going to be hit or miss in it's value.

As you probably know, it is a fen, which is why resolving the beaver situation was so important. Unfortunately, in a spot as popular as Webb's, that recovery period is extremely doubtful. In past years, there was little, if any, off-board excursions, it has now become commonplace. It is still recovering from the multi-year Beaver flood and the folks going off-boards are not being careful, the one photo shows the uprooted vegetation. Only time will tell, but by then it may be unrecoverable. Hopefully F&W will just erect a simple sign

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
BTW, my comment was more directed toward 46'er's post that there were holes where plants were taken. Apologies if I sounded grouchy.

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
Just went there with my brother and 2 kids, cool spot , cant believe a holes would get off and walk through it, I would have thrown rocks at them.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Al:
Yeah, but at least they got small feet and plant them pretty far apart. But their nibbling/gobbling orchids is something else......

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
I cleaned up quite a mess this morning at the outflow of the bog. Loads of monofilament line, packaging for a new Penn spinning reel, hot dog and snack food bags, cans, cigarette butts galore , and of course the ubiquitous gray plastic Walmart bag. I also noticed there was a clearing with a pile of sticks making a wall with a wooden table, sheet of plywood, etc south of the outflow on the east side of the road, Have any of you noticed this before?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
There were some plywood sheets with graffiti on them at the big pine intersection last time I was around back. Looked like a paintball target. Its been there for some time.

CurMUDgeon

Scout
Apr 30, 2010
Where needed.
N 39 53 16 64 W 74 22 27 89 It was the first spot south of the outflow on the east side where I felt that I could park without being an imposition to any passing vehicles. Your "X" looks pretty close but it was right off the road, not in too deep.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks.

Perhaps an eccentric person. Or, and this may be more likely, a caravan of ATV's trailered by a truck (from outside the area)are using it for an impromptu camp.