Webb's Mill Bog

I bring this question to this forum because you guys all seem extremely knowledgeable about most things "piney".

We visited Webb's Mill Bog late in the winter this year and have been able to find out very little information about the area. Does anyone know a source for the information about the species of flora found here or anything at all about the boardwalk?

No one I know knows anything about it or even that it was there. I am assuming it is part of Greenwood WMA but would like to know a little more about the area.

Thanks for any info!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
The boardwalk was constructed to keep people out of the bog. People were walking in the bog and disturbing the wildlife.

I'm not sure if Greenwood WMA extends to that side of 539. It could be part of the Forked River Mountain Preserve.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I bring this question to this forum because you guys all seem extremely knowledgeable about most things "piney".

We visited Webb's Mill Bog late in the winter this year and have been able to find out very little information about the area. Does anyone know a source for the information about the species of flora found here or anything at all about the boardwalk?

No one I know knows anything about it or even that it was there. I am assuming it is part of Greenwood WMA but would like to know a little more about the area.

Thanks for any info!

Rozecki, it is part of Greenwood Forest. I first visited it 29 years ago. At that time is was just a bunch of wooden pallets kind of strung together on the ground. It was created by someone scraping off the top layer of duff and moss to expose and area of white sand that water continually percolates through, like a spring. When they did that, it exposed the area to sun, and along with the water and soil, is a perfect setting for nearly all of the typical pine barren plants that we know and love;

Curly Grass Fern
Bog Asphodel
Grass Pink Orchid
Rose Pogonia Orchid
Arethusa Orchid
All of the sundews and pitcher plants
etc, etc.

It is used to show first time botanists and visitors to the pine barrens what is likely to be found in other similar bogs, although by itself this one is certainly unique and beautiful. The best time to see the plants is mid-June.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Has anyone been there lately? I was there in the spring looking for orchids, there was at least 6-8" of water under the boardwalk, almost covering it, with nothing but pitcher plants in bloom. Has to be a beaver dam somewhere to cause that much water to backup. I might take a ride next week to see what the conditions are,; if it stays flooded were going to lose a very special place.

Attachments

• WebbsBog0080-01.jpg
    WebbsBog0080-01.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 321

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Has anyone been there lately? I was there in the spring looking for orchids, there was at least 6-8" of water under the boardwalk, almost covering it, with nothing but pitcher plants in bloom. Has to be a beaver dam somewhere to cause that much water to backup. I might take a ride next week to see what the conditions are,; if it stays flooded were going to lose a very special place.

That does happen. The main lodge is on the next road east. It happened about 6 years ago and someone knocked the lodge down. That is only a temporary fix.

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
that's a bummer.....

hey bob, didn't recognize me a week or two ago at caranzza with the group? lol.. i was with chris and those guys...

nice truck btw... i need something like that my T-bird dosen't stand a chance on those sand roads..

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
that's a bummer.....

hey bob, didn't recognize me a week or two ago at caranzza with the group? lol.. i was with chris and those guys...

nice truck btw... i need something like that my T-bird dosen't stand a chance on those sand roads..

I'm sorry. I think what we need is a group picnic somewhere, so I can put faces with names. I am dense like that. After I left your motley crew I said to myself..."damn, it would have been fun to get a group shot of them".

Which of you did I meet at the snake guy's exhibit at the Pine Barren work shops at BCC? One of you stayed to talk to the presenter, and I introduced myself. I think it was you Brandon. When Chris introduced himself, I was temporarily confused because I expected to see your face on him.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Knockng the lodge down will do nothing to help, probably just cause them to increase the size of their damn dam :rolleyes: