Webbs Mill flooded by beaver again?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
This is from yesterday, showing how high the water was.

Attachments

• webbwaterlevel.jpg
    webbwaterlevel.jpg
    7.1 MB · Views: 281
Reactions: Teegate

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Thank you both. I came back to edit my post because I didn't mean it to be inflammatory which I later thought would be taken.
I wasn't aware that the bog is not "natural" but man-made.

I see 2 solutions to the problem flooding which appears to be a long ongoing issue.
1- Start a petition to excavate the road which has been mentioned. Submit to the State or whoever is in charge.
I can see problems with permits and silt during the work, but that's another issue.

2- Form a volunteer group 'Preserve Webbs Mill' that is a take action group that is willing to roll up their sleeves, don work gloves, and waders, bring trailers and pickups for the debris removal and get the job done. Stop complaining and depending on a few hard-working individuals that have done so in the past.

Reactions: bobpbx

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I never thought your post was meant to be inflammatory at all. You were simply pondering, which we all do.

If you want to submit a petition for the state to take action, I'll help write if for you if you post it under your name.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I didn't take the post that way either. I tend to find conversations where there is 100% agreement boring and not worth having. ;)

I'd recommend holding off on the petition for just a bit. Simply talking to the right person may be more productive. In other words, the old catching more flies with honey than vinegar approach. The problem not having been solved does not mean nobody in the state cares. I can vouch for resources being spread very thin and there is always a bigger issue looming that needs attention. I'll see what I can do in the next few days.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If anyone goes there to remove the beavers work, spend a little time and look around very carefully before you put your hands down to the ground or walk around.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
You know what we need to do? Create a bucket brigade sort of line to remove all those sticks that have piled up over the years. We need about 20 people I'd guess.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You know what we need to do? Create a bucket brigade sort of line to remove all those sticks that have piled up over the years. We need about 20 people I'd guess.

The question is, where would the state want us to place them?

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I never thought your post was meant to be inflammatory at all. You were simply pondering, which we all do.

If you want to submit a petition for the state to take action, I'll help write if for you if you post it under your name.
Don't take this wrong but as originally stated I don't care one way or the other. In fact, now that I know this is not a "natural" area but man-made I am less enthused. However, that being said I am not against possibly helping out for a day if all the stars align.
As for disposing of the debris, I thought of that also and is probably a problem since there wouldn't be State or Greenwood approval.
One thing comes to mind, does anybody have connections with a tree company with a chipper? Probably not free and they would request a staging area NOT in the woods.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
As an update to this situation, the state is aware of the problem and is in agreement that it needs to be addressed. They have been periodically sending staff to remove blockages with the intent of lowering the water level enough to be able to install one of the commercial devices used to discourage beaver causing this type of problem. There are a few of these that are available and I'm not 100% sure which will be used but it seems a wise first step, before doing something more drastic.